• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to freeze the frame at the end of a layer and hold for the rest of the composition?

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

This is one of those questions I USED to know the answer to... but I'm coming back to AE after having basically not used it for several years, so I don't remember how this worked, and for some weird reason, I can't find the answer. I have a piece of footage that is shorter than the entire composition. I want to freeze the last frame and hold it there until the composition reaches its end point. I do not want to change the timing of anything in the footage/layer itself-- just freeze and hold the last frame. It really seems like "freeze frame" SHOULD do this, but it just shows a frozen frame (converted the avi file to a still image in this instance, I think.) I need a frozen still of the *last* frame that will last for the duration of the entire comp. Please help me remember how this is done!! Thanks for all help and advice.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Time Remapping to the rescue!  Here's What you do:

• Highlight the layer in question.  Go to Layer>Time>Enable Time Remapping.  The keyboard shortcut is Ctl-Alt-t (Win) or Cmd-Opt-t (Mac).
  • You'll see two keyframes, one at the head of the clip and one at the tail.  Go to the tail.  Go to the frame BEFORE the ending keyframe.  Make another keyframe.
  • Delete the final keyframe and pull the clip's out point as far as you want.  Everything beyond the new final keyframe is a freeze frame.

Very handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time Remapping to the rescue!  Here's What you do:

• Highlight the layer in question.  Go to Layer>Time>Enable Time Remapping.  The keyboard shortcut is Ctl-Alt-t (Win) or Cmd-Opt-t (Mac).
  • You'll see two keyframes, one at the head of the clip and one at the tail.  Go to the tail.  Go to the frame BEFORE the ending keyframe.  Make another keyframe.
  • Delete the final keyframe and pull the clip's out point as far as you want.  Everything beyond the new final keyframe is a freeze frame.

Very handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave,

That was a perfect answer...

3 years have passed and you are still helping people with that 🙂

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in addition to what Dave suggested, as of CC2017 you also have the freeze on last frame feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, so much easier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this worked much better. I could not the above solution to work. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Imagine that: a Dave LaRonde tip that doesn't work. I'll add it to the very long list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines