• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Building Replacement PPCC Editing System - Need Advice

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, well I just purchased and upgraded to Premier Pro CC (from an earlier version) last month.... now a month later (maybe less) and my laptop (HP Envy I7 15T-3000) which i used for all my video editing (and everything else) up and died yesterday beyond the point of trying to repair it... again....... 

So... I need to get an PP-CC editing system back up and running. At this point, I no longer need a laptop, nor do I want to have the tech limitations of a laptop for editing.  I've spent most of the day looking into what I need to build a new desktop editing system. I've had Adobe's "minimum requirements" page open most of the day, as well as looking into many videos and other websites about what is "recommended hardware" instead of just the minimum requirements. I want a system that is more than just the "bare minimum", but at the same time I am on a limited budget, and I do not make any money on the video editing I do, as it is for a small ministry.

With that said, here is what I am currently looking at. Its been a few years since my last desktop build. I had a lot of issues with that laptop, so I need a system that is solid and stable and has at least good performance and decent render times. I don't use After Effects or anything, just Premier Pro CC 2017 and Adobe Encoder that comes with it. This will also become my main "general use computer", so I need it to work for what ever else I need, but video editing will be the heaviest system load it will do. I would also like to be able to do other things on the computer, like browse the internet or watch a video, while rendering... if possible, but this is not a necessity.

I'd like to hear from those with experience/knowledge with Premier Pro CC, who could tell me if what I've got listed here looks to be a pretty solid system... or not... if there are better components for the money, if there are things here that I don't need or won't help with Premier Pro, OR if there is things I can change and save money but still maintain good performance and stability.

Here is what I have come up with after my research:

**Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K (BX80677I77700​K) - Amazon $349 : https://goo.gl/KtTtR1

**Cooler Master Hyper 212X - CPU Cooler with dual 120mm PWM Fan - NewEgg $45 : https://goo.gl/nI9ELd

**ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard - Amazon $229https://goo.gl/jTSren

**Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6G (GV-N1060WF2OC​-6GD) - Amazon $255 : https://goo.gl/lPC6AV

**Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 C15 Memory Kit  - Amazon $234 : https://goo.gl/5mQUwB

**Corsair RMi Series, RM750i, 750 Watt (750W), Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified - Amazon $140 : https://goo.gl/qyG61b

**WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD1003... - Amazon $69: https://goo.gl/gK0tkg
(Note: I have a Crucial 500gb SSD hard-drive that is about 8 months old from my laptop, which I will use for windows 7, programs etc, and i will probably add another WD 1TB later on)

**Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition, Full Tower ATX Case - NewEgg $150 : https://goo.gl/oLviN4

Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) - Amazon $21 : https://goo.gl/va6HiN

And of course I still need a screen and a keyboard.... I just bought a Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum just over a week ago to use on my laptop (before it died...)  for Premier Pro to help me edit faster....  so I'll use it on this system.

So... what do you all think? Is There Anything that i'm forgetting????
Let me know
Much Appreciated

Warren

[Moderators note: moved to best forum]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for a little more money you can step up to a 6 core build, that could be 15-20% faster, and might give more of a chance of browsing the internet etc while rendering.

i7-6800k, or old i7-5820k if you find it for a good price

asus x99-a ii  motherboard

if budget is tight you might be ok with a cheap cooler, but i would highly recommend the noctua nh-d15S

change the memory to a 4 stick kit of 32gb

change the power supply to corsair rmx or evga g2 or g3, 850w

change the case to cheaper and better fractal design (perhaps the r5) or phanteks (perhaps the enthoo pro m)

total cost for all upgrades might be around $20, might cost more for any extra case fan(s)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hummm...... a six core processor would be nice.....

Why change to four 8GB ram instead of just two 16gb? Didn't see much difference in price?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the 6 core cpu can use quad channel memory config, so it will use all 4 sticks together for slightly faster speeds.

the cpu's have a default top speed of 2400mhz, but with the z170 and x99 motherboards they can run faster than default speeds. 3000mhz is usually a good spot for prices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so even though the I7-6800k shows it can only use 2400mhz ram, with the x99 board it can use 3000mhz ram?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or are you talking about what it will OC up to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would be considered overclocking to the cpu, but the ram itself wouldn't be overclocked as its made to run at 3000mhz. you may want to run the memory and cpu at default speeds and skip any tweaking or overclocking until you go over several overclocking guides, for x99 and/or your motherboard, and understand them and feel comfortable doing it. it only takes one bad setting and poof.

i don't have any guides to point you at, but there is this protection plan from intel

Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoninEdits wrote:

it would be considered overclocking to the cpu, but the ram itself wouldn't be overclocked as its made to run at 3000mhz. you may want to run the memory and cpu at default speeds and skip any tweaking or overclocking until you go over several overclocking guides, for x99 and/or your motherboard, and understand them and feel comfortable doing it. it only takes one bad setting and poof.

i don't have any guides to point you at, but there is this protection plan from intel

Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan

Ok... so if i purchased the 3000mhz ram, but wanted to run the CPU and Ram at "default speeds", would the CPU or MB just "slow down" the ram to 2400mhz? Or rather I'm guessing that would be a setting that I could change it to 2400 in BIOS at least?

Yes, I've done a bit of OCing in the past, but wasn't really impressed with it on the system I had at that time. Was more worried about it burning something out really. I've seen (or rather from what I gathered) that Asus's new bios on some of their MB has some "auto" OC stuff where it apparently runs the system through its "paces" and OC's it to a safe stable level?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....you may want to hold off just a little and see how the AMD Ryzen actually performs. Preliminary leaked benchmarks....without turbo enabled....have been extremely impressive.

Why pay over $1,000 for an Intel 6900K, when the Ryzen flagship 1800X.....or, even LESSER models.....may equal or exceed the performance at a price in the 3 or 4 hundreds range ? In addition, the new Ryzen CPUs will feature an automatic overclocking feature that allows the CPU to automatically clock itself higher and higher based on the temperature it is sensing....so, if a good cooling system is in place, it will increase the frequency to the max without any manual overclocking needed by the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JFPhoton, thanks for the reply.

I'm looking at a i7-6800k at this point, as it is about $60 additional cost for a 50% gain over a 4 core processor like the "new" i7-7700k, the extra $60 is worth the cost to me for what I am needing to use this machine for, and also to allow for some future needs as software and etc advance.

However, to go from a 6 core I7-6800k, to an 8 core I7-6900k, which is only a 35% gain in processing power, at an additional cost of $600+ is just ridiculous. If it was an extra $75 for two additional cores, then it might be worth looking at. Even with that said, I still probably wouldn't go for an 8 core, simply because of my budget.

Just my 2 dollars (adjusted for inflation).

As to the new AMD, it sounds like it might be a good next gen processor. However, I've have some bad runs with AMD's in the past, and will probably not go back to them. And also, I'm needing this system asap. i would have already ordered the parts, but I'm trying to get some funds freed up first. So during the mean time, I'm still doing some research, but hope to order within the next two weeks.

Speaking of which, I'm taking a 2nd look at the Asus x99-A II mother board. After reading many reviews on newegg, It seems that a lot of people have been having a bunch of different issues with them suddenly up and dying... some right off the bat, others within the first few months. I'm thinking maybe I should look into some other brands such as MSI and Gigabyte, see how peoples experiences with them compares.

Anyone got an opinion or experience concerning this?
Is this due to bad installs? Don't know what they're doing when OC???

I will post an updated list of parts on here within the next few days, for others who are looking into it or just might like to know.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMD is saying Ryzen comes out March 2nd, which means MOBOs will also be for sale on that date. You may regret buying Intel once you see the benchmarks for Ryzen...especially the flagship at full turbo and unlocked for max overclocking. That chip may surpass the 6900K and may approach the performance of the 6950X at  LESS THAN ONE THIRD THE COST !!......$ 499 AMD flagship vs. the Intel flagship which WAS $1799 and already has dropped to $1579. The Ryzen may clock higher than the Intel flagship.

There is a REASON that AMD stock more than TRIPLED last year, and gone up 25% in the last 2 weeks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

asus has the best reputation, but msi and gigabyte are also good brands and have some x99 motherboards around the same price as the asus. the msi don't appear to have any thunderbolt support. some of the gigabyte's have thunderbolt add-in-card support, but i don't see any gigabyte thunderbolt cards available for sale. the gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI supposedly has an intel thunderbolt/usb 3 controller built in, so no add-in-card is needed. that motherboard also has an m.2, but supposedly it only works at full speed with a 40 lane cpu (not the one you are getting). it could still use a pcie x4 m.2 adapter with your cpu, to get around that limitation. the GIGABYTE GA-X99-Ultra Gaming appears to have decent features, but is slightly more expensive and has no built in thunderbolt like the other gigabyte motherboard.

you can download and read thru the manuals for any motherboard you are interested in, to see what features it has and how it will work with the 28 lane i7-6800k. sometimes the main features are listed in the specifications on newegg too. to get the most out of the 28 lanes, a motherboard should be able to split to x8/x8/x8 and send the last x4 to the m.2. if you want to future-proof for a cpu upgrade later, then you also need to consider what the motherboard can do with 40 lanes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can buy a 16GB (2 x 8gb) ram kit for the time being, then add another two sticks of the exact same type later on, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, i've changed to the I7-6800k, as you said 6 cores would be much better than just the 4. After doing some reseach, I'm somewhat surprised just how very little that the "new" I7-7700k "improved" over its predecessor.

Also of course changed to the asus x99-a ii mother board. I had already saw a lot of good things about this board, but since it was a different socket than I was look for at the time, didn't do much research into it.

And yes, i didn't much care for the cheap cooler, however it seemed like that one (or one of its other versions) was the only thing that came up for some reason. I like the design of the Noctua much better.

I think I'm going to stick to 16gb of ram for the time being, haven't decided on the 2400mhz or go up to the 3000mhz yet though. just not sure with the CPU specs, going to do some more research into this.

The RMX 850w power supply is also a better choice, more power for the $

Will look into the case more too... I did find some "open box" of the same Corsair Obsidian Series 750D for $119 on Amazon. but will look into the one's you listed and some others too.

Thanks RoninEdits for the input and guidance icon_smile_thumzup.gif

This is a "one time purchase" for me, so i'm trying to be cautious and really make sure I know what I'm getting, that its the "best bang for the buck" and that it all works together... and that it works with PPCC!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you don't need the dvd drive, there are more cases to choose from without any 5.25" bays. if you rarely use it, you can also get a usb dvd drive and a case without any 5.25" bays. some other cases i saw with 5.25" bays are the corsair 450D and cooler master Pro 5. lots of cases to pick from, just check for features you want and make sure they can hold the large noctua d15s, its 160mm tall.

depending on the cpu, it should set the ram at 2133 or 2400mhz, even if you buy faster ram. yes, you could change it to 2400mhz even if you buy something faster like 3000mhz. if you are working with HD/1080p projects, you can start with the 16gb and might be fine. then you can add more later if/when needed...

there are several "auto" O.C. solutions from different motherboard manufactures, some have overclocking presets in the bios and some have software that can run in windows. i have read about people using those auto programs/settings and getting high voltages sent to the cpu, so i would lean towards manual overclock to make sure the auto stuff isn't doing something bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Humm.... I think I did find one problem... I don't think the I7-7700k or the I7-6800k will use the **Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 C15 ram as it is 3300mhz. From what i'm seeing, both of these processors will only use DDR4 2133mhz or 2400mhz ram...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines