• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make a sword look like its piercing snow?

Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I am new to photoshop, and I have this photo in which I tried to add a sword in the my hand.

Screenshot_2.png

But how do make it look like the sword is piercing the snow a little bit?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Fairly easy thing to do.

1) Make a selection of a small patch of snow and copy it to a new layer.

2) Select the move tool and move the snow over the tip of the sword and apply a slight Gaussian Blur to make it blend in.

3) Then make a very rough selection around part of the sword  and use the Transform Selection command to create the perspective of a shadow.

4) On a new layer fill the selection with a bluey grey color, apply another Gaussian Blur and make the layer blend mode 'Multiply' and that sho

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fairly easy thing to do.

1) Make a selection of a small patch of snow and copy it to a new layer.

2) Select the move tool and move the snow over the tip of the sword and apply a slight Gaussian Blur to make it blend in.

3) Then make a very rough selection around part of the sword  and use the Transform Selection command to create the perspective of a shadow.

4) On a new layer fill the selection with a bluey grey color, apply another Gaussian Blur and make the layer blend mode 'Multiply' and that should produce a shadow.

sword.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I do not understand the steps 3) and 4)

I did the blur stuff and now it looks like its piercing the snow!! Thanks for that!

But I dont understand what a "transfor selection command" is. I do know what "transform" is but how can I use that to create a shadow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I didn't explain it that well

1) make a selection

1.png

2) Go to the select menu and choose Transform Selection

2.png

3)Now you can transform the selection in the same way as any layer

3.png

3) Then it's just a matter of filling the selection with a color and using multiply blend mode to make it transparent.

4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_2.png

Oh, thanks!! This is the final result. Is it good enough? Does it look like I am holding the sword? Also it would be great if you could give me any tips to improve my editing further

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that looks pretty good and quite realistic. A good place to learn Photoshop techniques is Phlearn. Most of the site is free and Aaron Nace is a very good teacher

https://phlearn.com/free-tutorials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh! Thanks for the suggestion!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shadow looks too grey. If you look at the other places the snow is in shadow it's a blue colour.

Not to mention that you and the sword are both in a shadow in the first place so you wouldn't really get a shadow like that. If your Dad (I'm guessing) was holding the sword he'd get a strong shadow because the sun is hitting him to cast it but since you're blocked from the sun by the shadow you're in, you won't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

oh come on, we encourage beginners here. Yes the shadow would probably not be there in the real world in such a prominent way, but there is no sense in telling someone new to this about remapping the lighting across an entire image as they'll get confused. The snow itself has a blue tint coming from the sky so the area itself is not in full shadow, therefore a hint of a shadow is just possible-light might be coming through the branches of a tree for example, out of shot.. Besides everyone knows Excalibur glows in the dark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines