Exit

Missing named grids panel; can't view frame grids

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC 2017; Windows

I've trashed my prefs but still no joy.

When I go to View>Grids & Guides there is no option to show frame grid.

When  go to Window>Type and Tables> there is no named grids option.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Follow up: after my initial response, I did a search and came up with:

Format grids in InDesign

Is this part of an Asian-language installation of InDesign? I have never seen these options in the US versions I have used for the past 15 years. If so, this may help: Change the language setting of your Creative Cloud apps

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While we're at it, there is no Layout>Layout Adjustment option either.

Is the June 2016 ID reference in error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell us what you mean by "Named Grids" and "Frame Grids" in Adobe InDesign.

Here is the normal View > Grids & Guides menu:

InDesign CCss_002.png

And normal Window > Type and Tables menu:

InDesign CCss_003.png

Layout adjustment moved to the Window > Interactive > Liquid Layout panel menu in CS6.

InDesign CCss_004.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up: after my initial response, I did a search and came up with:

Format grids in InDesign

Is this part of an Asian-language installation of InDesign? I have never seen these options in the US versions I have used for the past 15 years. If so, this may help: Change the language setting of your Creative Cloud apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you're correct, Barb. I'm pretty sure it requires an Asian language installation. It's not possible to include Asian layout features in InDesign in an English version.

I just discovered yesterday that you can turn on East Asian features in Illustrator. This came up in a post about making movie poster text just posted this week in InDesignSecrets.com:

https://indesignsecrets.com/making-a-movie-poster.php

When a commenter said it was much easier to do with the Warichu option of the Character panel in Illustrator, I found this EXCELLENT tutorial by Deke McClelland about how to turn on and use East Asian features like Warichu. It can even be saved into character styles which can make it much faster:

Deke's Techniques 056: Creating Great Movie Poster Credits in Illustrator | dekeOnline

Check it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb! That answers the named grid question and layout adjustment question. I kind of suspected the grid had to do with an Asian language feature. I've been using ID, well since Pagemaker went away, and I had never seen it. My screens look the same as yours. These questions come as I study for the ACE test. This will be my first one since 2014 when they changed to proctored tests. As I do the usual tour through the reference guide, I wish they had made a note this was an Asian language feature.

The reference guide also says we find layout adjustments under the Layout menu. Sounds like they need to update that!

cap1.PNG

Since you all are so smart, did they combine ' show frame grids' under 'show document grids'?

While I still don't see the command View>Grids & Guides>Show Frame Grid, I was able to get them to work. They were a little glitchy I hade to turn on view document grids AND move the text box before the frame grids show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did they combine ' show frame grids' under 'show document grids'?

Best I can tell, frame grids and named grids are only part of the Asian-language version, so I don't know where they appear. As someone who has taken every single InDesign ACE exam (except for the current one), I can tell you that I have never heard of that feature.

What are you using to study? You can download the exam guide from this page:

Adobe InDesign CC 2015

If a topic is listed, study it—it's fair game for the exam. If not, it will not be on the test. There is nothing about frame grids or named grids on the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLUS, if it’s part of a reviewer’s guide for the ACE exam it should be made VERY CLEAR that it’s only part of the ASIAN language versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The great Sandee Cohen!

To follow up on both Barb and your comments. I am studying from the latest Adobe reference I can find which is named indesign_reference.pdf and is dated 6/2016.

Frame grids do work in text frames. They are essentially baseline grids which are independent of the page baseline grid. I was incorrect in calling the document grids above. You can set them up in the text frame options>baseline options.

I just wasn't finding them where the reference said I would. Cntrl-Alt-' turns them on just fine though

Cheers,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines