• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making text fall behind multiple objects (track mattes)

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a drone shot traveling backwards over some trees and the word Iceland looks like it is sitting between the trees. The good news is, I was able to get the words to go behind one of the two objects, I just could get it to only go behind one tree at a time. I can even get the track matte to switch between the two objects but never both at the same time.

Please see the attached image for reference, this will help greatly in understanding my problem I think.

Perhaps there is a better way to achieve what I am trying to do? Perhaps I do not understand how to use track mattes in the best manner? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Capture.PNG

If you cannot read the text in the comp details in the bottom left, please let me know, I'm new here and not exactly sure what things will be most helpful to the pros to get a good understanding of how to help me with this issue.

THANKS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pre-compose the matte layers to combine them into one.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! Thanks so much!

I'm sorry to ask this but I am a rookie to all of this, should I just google how to do pre-composing matte layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. select all your matte layers and right click -> pre-compose.

2. in the master comp set the collapse switch for the mattes pre-comp

this will be your alpha matte. if you want to see the boundaries of the layers inside the precomp you can toggle the 3D switch too, but it's not necessary for this to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do all of this none of the text is behind the objects anymore. See picture below.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to use the pre-composed matte layers as a track matte for your text.

You should study up on Track Mattes. Use the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually would someone mind showing me the correct flowchart for this setup? I think this might be my problem, please see below screenshot.probs.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can't be sure what exactly is wrong here.

as I understand, the text is supposed to be sticking on the plane as a 3D layer and masked by different elements that are moving in the scene at different planes or points in time. so one tree here, other tree there, another tree there-  so you got different mattes on different layers but you want all of them to affect one layer.

I have created a similar setup, and it appears to work fine.

056.gif

maybe you can upload the project or show us a detailed screen capture so we can better see what's the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi TannerC,

Sorry you had trouble. Did you ever get this solved? Some excellent advice here. Did any of the responses help you? Please let us know how you achieved the effect or if you still need help.

Thanks!
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines