Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I expand the layers panel ?

Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! So this question is about customizing your workspace. So on youtube tutorials I see the right side of the workspace like this

Screenshot_2.png

And in my own workspace, the right side is like this

Screenshot_3.png

So my layers panel is way small and when I work with a lot of layers, it gets really hard to navigate through it..Can someone please tell me how to expand it like the one I see everywhere on the internet?

I am a beginner in photoshop so please bear with me..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Just click on the tab at the top of the layer panel where it says Layers and with the mouse held down - drag it to where you want it.

To make it taller - drag the bottom of the layer panel

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag it out from its group.

Move it higher up the screen.

Drag down the bottom right corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont understand.. what is a group?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just click on the tab at the top of the layer panel where it says Layers and with the mouse held down - drag it to where you want it.

To make it taller - drag the bottom of the layer panel

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recorded this video for my beginning students. It explains what panels are, and how to rearrange them. Photoshop CC User Interface Tour - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also change the size of the thumbnail previews on each layer, once you have the layer panel in a position you are comfortable with. Click the icon-top right in the layers panel

1.png

Select  'Panel Options'

2b.png

Choose a bigger thumbnail size

3.png

And the thumbnail becomes easier to see

4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great tip. I always change the panel icon to the largest size when I am teaching, so that my students can actually see what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have some great answers here. I just want to add that you can also "collapse" the panels above by double clicking on their tabs. From your screenshot, double click on your library tab and double click on your color tab.

I collapsed my libraries...

2017-02-11_10-45-38.jpeg

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And... one more thing - use groups. Organize your layers with the folder icon at the bottom of the layers panel. Also, if you are using layer effects, collapse them - if you have  fx with a down arrow - close them all up. To close them all at once, hold alt/opt and just click one, they will all close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for the amazing tips guys!! Now my layers panel looks like this

Screenshot_2.png

But it doesn't allow me to make it larger than that so I guess thats my limit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click those panels above to close them like I showed you in the screenshots above And you will get more vertical space...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I mentioned dragging the Layers panel out of its group, I meant something like the screen shot below.  You can click on the drop down on the right side of the Options Bar, and save it as a new workspace.  You can also save custom shortcuts and toolbars with workspaces, so a very flexible and useful facility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines