• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported my jpeg collection w/embedded keywords, only to find a built list

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did I miss during the import settings? Have somewhere near 200 keywords and 25000 images.

All I got after the import is a built list with NO association of keywords to images.

Been searching for hours for the answer, but to no end

Please tell me that I don't have to assign the keywords manually!

Thanks in advance for helping this newbie to LR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

You didn't answer the question about WHERE the keywords are located before they were imported. Were they in the JPG file itself, or in a sidecar file? Lightroom ignores the sidecar files for JPGs.

Assuming the keywords were in the JPG file itself, in Lightroom select some photos and then use the menu command Metadata->Read Metadata from Files. Does this help?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have ~200 keywords-   where?  Do you mean in the Lightroom Keyword List Panel?

The JPG images- how were keywords embedded into these files before the import?  With Adobe Bridge, or other software?

I have just added keywords to an image with Bridge, imported to Lr, and the keywords appear on the photo in Lr successfully.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been testing other DAM programs. Some keywords were put in via iMatch, some with ACDSee and some just with windows file explorer.

Been working with Adobe products for 20 years, so I wanted to try LR.

Bridge took in the keywords fairly well.

Yes, all keywords ended up in the Keyword Panel List pane, all with zeros after the keywords. Nothing associated to the image files.

Been searching all over the web, while I wait for my 1:1 previews to build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no experience with iMatch & ACDSee, Perhaps other users can chime in with an answer.

Strange though that the keywords are in the Lr list but not connected to images. Assuming that Lr must be 'pulling in' the KWs from the image files.

Have you tried selecting a few images and  going-  { Menu > Metadata > Read Metadata from files  }  ?

What do you mean by "Bridge took in the keywords fairly well." ?  Do you mean that Bridge is showing the KWs for each image in its broswer/metadata panel?  Does Bridge show KWs on the 25000 images.

And the photos keyworded in Bridge- do they have the keywords showing on the photo in the Lr library?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer the question about WHERE the keywords are located before they were imported. Were they in the JPG file itself, or in a sidecar file? Lightroom ignores the sidecar files for JPGs.

Assuming the keywords were in the JPG file itself, in Lightroom select some photos and then use the menu command Metadata->Read Metadata from Files. Does this help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DJ- Hopeful that you can resolve an answer if the OP gives enough info.

Sorry- I travel international tomorrow, so out of touch for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the assistance

I stumbled across the Metadata-read from files and ran that on all the jpegs.
When it didn't appear to have associated the embedded keywords within the jpgs, I immediately went to panic mode.

Now, I'm off to find info on how to delete photos.

Wishing there was a local help file, as going out to Adobes site for help is not a great thing for me. I'm a retired rver traveling with a cellular modem for internet access. Only have 20 gigs a month to play with

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer the question about WHERE the keywords are located before they were imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They were embedded, not in any sidecar/xmp.files.

As I stated in my last reply, I stumbled upon the Metadata - read from files, which took care of my situation.

Is this normal action for LR cc?

I did mark your earlier post (with the insight of metadata read from files) as CORRECT

Imported another batch pf 350 jpegs, with keywords embedded in the files and had to read all the files after the import.

Now, I'm waiting on 7500 photos to delete after exporting them to a catalog to a different drive.

Soooo slow.........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines