Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2017 Is Not Enabling the GPU Acceleration While Photoshop 2017 Does

Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there people. I installed Illustrator 2017, InDesign 2017 and Photoshop 2017 on my Windows 10 laptop.

Here is the situation

• Photoshop 2017 works great with GPU acceleration.
  • Illustrator 2017 works OK without GPU acceleration.
  • InDesign 2017 is painfully laggy while panning and zooming the pages that I work on.
  • GPU Performance section and GPU performance activation button are missing on InDesign 2017.

My laptop specs are

• Intel P8700 CPU
  • NVIDIA 9600M GS GPU
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 240 GB Kingston SSD

Do you have any suggestions to enable the GPU acceleration on InDesign 2017? I already tried the performance tips that I found on the forums and they didn't help either. Please help me about this problem. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

You're preaching to the choir.

If you want to tell the product managers, post your wish here:

Feature Requests/Bug Reports

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That feature is Mac only at this time.

And that is pretty underpowered machine. Old processor and 4GB of RAM is barely enough to run the operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know man. But Photoshop 2017 has GPU acceleration activated by default.

It's a shame that Adobe doesn't implement a must-have feature even in the year 2017.

PS.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're preaching to the choir.

If you want to tell the product managers, post your wish here:

Feature Requests/Bug Reports

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an abject tragedy and failure on part of Adobe to not bring this feature to windows. I'm surprised such few people are complaining about this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't miss what you never had and frankly, I wish I had a dime for time I had to tell someone to turn it off because it causes more trouble than it's worth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do understand what you mean, but in that case I think the code should be optimised to provide smooth performance in GPU usage, not to just take the option away.

Every time I use InDesign I have to wait for bits of lag to go away so that the screen can render properly. Never had this problem in Photoshop, and my specs are quite decent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what exactly are those specs?

For reference, I'm running a home built machine with a 6th generation i7, 32 GB of RAM, 2 GB video card and all apps and O/S are on a 500 GB solid state drive.

Using build 1709 of Windows 10 Pro.

I am not seeing any issues with performance.

Additionally, I just bought a new HP Spectre x360 with 16GB RAM and no problems there either.

Just so you understand I'm not apologist, I had all kinds of issues on my previous machine which was 6 years old and had been through in-place upgrades from Windows 8 to 8.1 to 10. If you've been through that route, a clean install might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's insane huh? I'm definitely not re-subbing in a couple of months when the time comes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines