• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign file won't open

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an 84-pg InDesign file that opens and looks normal for a second, then the spinning wheel of death appears and InDesign becomes unresponsive and has to be forced to quit. Other files open normally. I have installed the latest version of InDesign. I tried reserving the file as soon as it opens. That file does not work either.

I had a similar issue a few months ago with a 100+ page file, except in that case trying to open the file crashed InDesign. I eventually spoke to Adobe tex support and sent them the file, which turned out to be corrupt. I had to rebuild the entire document. This case seems to be a little different because the program doesn't completely crash. I'm hoping there is a workaround or fix that I am not thinking of so I don't have to rebuild this file.

Links in this file are a combination of TIFFs on my hard drive and client JPEGs in Dropbox. I'm starting to wonder if linking to client files in Dropbox may be part of the problem. I'm curious if anyone has had similar problems.

Any feedback / ideas for approaching this issue are greatly appreciated!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Psychics are sleep now without access to your file.

Try this - Re: InDesign 6 is crashing when attempting to open a particular document. All others are opening OK.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and we will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Thanks,

Himanshu Kapoor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally have this problem every time I use InDesign. I've changed the way I manage my external files, where I build my file and this problem still happens to me.

Why has this issue been around for 6 years? Why hasn't the development resolved the problem or been able to come up with a specific way to fix the corrupt files? I literally have to pay some guy in Amsterdam to fix my corrupt file so I don't lose DAYS of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try my handy guide:

Adobe InDesign CC 2017 troubleshooting how-to guide

In it you will find a list of many troubleshooting strategies.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Erica,

There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to document corruption. However, we can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and we will take a look at the document. If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Thanks,

Himanshu Kapoor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines