• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Experiencing delayed start of Lightroom 2015.8 on new SSD, Develop Module issue? anyone else?

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning, did a recent fresh install of Windows 10 64bit, on my EVO SSD, Lightroom catalog and photos are on the SSD drive as well. I have 16GB RAM XPS 8700 i7. AMD Radeon HD 7500 Graphics card Driver 15.201.1151.1008. Prior to reinstall of windows I vvaguelyremember Lr booting up quicker or no delay. Now...

After clicking Lr it takes 10 Seconds before the Lr splash screen pops up.

Then if it goes straight to Develop Module another 50 seconds before I can actually use Lr, I get the current photo and "LOADING" until for about 50 seconds and if I try to click it hangs until it finishes.  After this wait period, Lr runs fine, but I don't remember this prior to upgrading to my SSD and would think it should run ALOT faster. I know the DEVELOP rely's on CPU speed vs. Drive speed, but again, don't remember this issue before.

I've tried the (Performance) Graphics checked and unchecked and same. I've tried creating a new catalog importing about 10 photos and creating 1:1. But same issues. Ran that test multiple times with same results.

NOW.... If I switch to Library Module, exit and retry, it still takes 10 seconds before anything happens / I get the Lr splash screen, BUT then in about 2-3 seconds I can use Lr and browse my library AND once I go into the DEVELOP module, it freezes again for 15+ seconds....

Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

I FIGURED IT OUT:

ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE - Active Protection was ON, after going through everything 1 by 1 that was it....

Thank you all for the help and time

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently there is a potential speed issue with Samsung EVO drives concerning "old" files that have been on the drive for a while: Samsung addresses slow 840 EVO SSD performance with another patch - TechSpot

Not sure if this is your issue, but you can run this test program to check:

SSD Read Speed Tester 2.04 Download - TechSpot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of "old" files?  I did a clean install of everything.  I have the EVO 850 SSD that was just bought 2 weeks ago, latest firmware.  And the delay appears only with Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that you have no "old" files on the SSD, but that doesn't rule out this as the cause.

I suggest downloading Samung's Magician tool as outlined at the first link. Check that the latest firmware version is installed on the SSD and if not install the latest update. Once that's done you can run the SSD Read Speed test at the 2nd link. Shouldn't take very long to run both and rule that out. If the latest firmware is loaded and the drive passes the Read Speed test we can look at other causes. Does that sound prudent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes I ran magician have the latest firmware  and no issues with read and write.    Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar system to you with the exception of (GTX 1080 and intel i7 6800K):

2 x EVO 850 drives, one holds the system and Adobe programs and the other is for programs not used often and my lightroom catalog, cache and IMPORT folder (photos for sorting which are keyworded, rated/edited and then moved to the data drive) a third 2TB data drive contains all my photos.

This works very fast and I am working with very large NEF files from a D800, my library has 30k images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be time to try resetting your Lightroom preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried that, resetting entire preferences, rebooting. Also reinstalled Lightroom after full uninstall. 

Assuming it doesnt have anything to do w graphics card.  Photoshop works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, in that case, you might need to dig deeper. I don't know where on Windows system log files are stored but you might need to monitor those to see if there is any hint about why the program behaves so abnormally. This is definitely very strange. The fact that it is triggered by going into Develop might mean two things. One that your graphics card is indeed an issue but that should be better when you uncheck GPU acceleration and second that your camera raw cache is polluted. Did you try to reset and purge the camera raw cache? It's in "Preferences->File handling" also make sure it is in a good location on your SSD and that it doesn't have a strange path defined there that doesn't exist anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jao vdL - I purged the Cache, It's stored in default location users/xx/appdata/local/adobe/cameraraw/cache.  I also have it set a 25GB.

trshaner​ I use Spyder Pro and have both monitor's calibrated.  My one monitor is an Acer S275HL and using the Generic PnP Monitor Driver the other is an older Samsung SyncMaster 24". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried installing the Acer S275HL monitor to remove the Generic PnP and still same issues....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest assigning the sRGB profile to both monitors as outlined at the link I provided to eliminate this as the possible cause. Most calibration software creates ICC Vesion 4 LUT type profiles with their default Preferences settings. This has caused some users to experience LR performance issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner​ Ok, i'll give it a try, but I was calibrating my monitor previous to the fresh install.

Also, is there a specific setting? I would assume the calibration software shouldn't cause that issue as the majority of people that buy the calibration hardware/software are using it for Lr and Ps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Just set both profiles as instructed in the link.  Rebooted CPU confirmed profiles are default, and still the same... Man this is frustrating... And thank you for troubleshooting this with me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so we can eliminate the display profiles as the cause.

The fact that the issue gets triggered when you go into the Develop module may indicate an issue with the CC activation process. Make sure you are connected to the Internet, close all Adobe apps, and then 'Sign Out' and 'Sign In' to your CC account as outlined here: Sign in and sign out to activate or deactivate Creative Cloud apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm that is then really strange. This has to be a specific hardware issue or perhaps some driver acting up. Do you have something like a Wacom tablet or other input device. Any external hard disks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try the sign in/out before as I read that elsewhere on the www as a possible solution, I tried it again but no luck.

No Wacom tablet, I disconnected all of my external drives, shut off my raid, so it was just my SSD internal and SATA internal...   So is the 10 second delay to the Lr splash screen normal? and just issue may be with Develop module?

I tried updating my graphics driver and didn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10 seconds is long especially on such a speedy machine. My laptop with an i7 processor takes 3 seconds to see the splash screen. A few more seconds and it is ready to use. Not super fast but certainly not the eons you are describing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, My laptop is almost isn't too.  Not sure what the issue could be...  Frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I reran Samsung Magician Results:

Sequential

Read 3,363

Write 2,568

Random IOPS

Read 69,575

Write 52.926

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FIGURED IT OUT:

ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE - Active Protection was ON, after going through everything 1 by 1 that was it....

Thank you all for the help and time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you found it and thank for reporting back! I suggest reporting this issue to Acronis Customer Service and see if they have a solution: Customer Service & Support - Acronis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other possibility is the monitor profile. Windows 10 has been known to install OEM display profiles that are incompatible with LR. The symptoms are slow performance and/or color rendering issues. Try assigning the sRGB profile if you are using a standard gamut monitor or Adobe RGB profile if using a wide gamut monitor as outlined here: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines