• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Importing Issue "...destination folder is not writable".

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP!!! I all having some importing issues with Lightroom CC 2015. I have attempted to import photos from card reader and the camera, but it won't import any photos. It keeps stating "Some import operations were not performed. The following files are were not imported because they could not be read or the designation folder is not writable."

This is the first I'm having this issue. I've tried reseting the preferences and restarting. I've shut down my iMac and rebooted, and relaunch LR. It didn't helped. PLEASE ADVISE. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

This error message is typical of a permission problem with the destination folder to which you are copying your image.  Using your OS's tools verify that your User ID has read/write permissions on the folder where the images will ultimately end up.

If you do a search you can find lots of posts on this issue. On the Mac to check the permissions of a folder, right click on the folder and select "get info" a dialog box will pop up and display the path to the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error message is typical of a permission problem with the destination folder to which you are copying your image.  Using your OS's tools verify that your User ID has read/write permissions on the folder where the images will ultimately end up.

If you do a search you can find lots of posts on this issue. On the Mac to check the permissions of a folder, right click on the folder and select "get info" a dialog box will pop up and display the path to the folder.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi: I am having a similar problem and I posted this on another thread last week and didn't see a reply yet. I checked the threads for this known bug and most of the issues focus on OSX Sierra, NOT Windows 8.1.

I, like others, don't see the destination folder option when I import files to Lightroom from my machine using Windows.8.1. Before this becomes a mess, I need to fix/repair this bug so I can manage my files right from the start. What you have described in two posts does not correlate to what I see. There is no destination folder to import a photo file to.

I use the following (just upgraded last week from Lightroom/CC 5.8 to 5.9)

Lightroom version: CC 2015.9

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 8.1

Version: 6.3

I would like to be able to set destination folders so I can manage the thousands of photos I will need to start working with. Thanks if you can help. I can't find a solution on Google or Adobe's forums with my system setup. I can send a screen snapshot of what I see as I prepare to import my files. Thanks.

Rudy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@  rudyyo26457023 this permissions issue is not a Lightroom Bug. The error message is just a bit misleading. This is how Lightroom has been functioning since inception.

This error message "the files could not be read happens when trying to import using the move or copy options, it does not occur when you use the ADD option.

When you choose to move/copy files during the import process there are two functions to be performed.

First copy the files from their existing location e,g SD Card in Camera / Card reader or from an existing location on a HDD to a new location.(the Destination Folder). If that intended Destination Folder does not have Write Permissions this process cannot be completed. This is an Operating System issue.

The next step would be for Lightroom to read the info from the new location / Destination Folder.

Since the files are not at the expected location then they could not be READ.

See the screen captures.

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 8.10.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-27 at 8.11.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-27 at 8.12.01 PM.png

In the screen capture the files are being Copied from an SD Card to the HDD via. the following path.

From the panel at the right side:  Destination> Macintosh HD> Users> denisdegannes> pictures> my pictures> 2017 - Jan-June> 2017-03-25.

The user must have Read and Write permissions for this folder within their operating.

This issue is applicable to both Mac and Win systems but I would agree that it crops up more often when Apple updates their OS X system.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I'm fully tracking here. Your replysaid:

///First copy the files from their existing location e,g SD Card in Camera / Card reader or from an existing location on a HDD to a new location.(the Destination Folder). If that intended Destination Folder does not have Write Permissions this process cannot be completed. This is an Operating System issue.///

When I open Lightroom, and choose the "Import" feature, it does not acknowledge that I can choose any destination folder, as others have noted. The feature fails. That is the key feature I need to work moving forward with thousands of photos, so I hope to get this right.

I can access both my C: drive and our shared system drives of my organization. I should be able to choose a destination on my C: drive. But nothing works as it should with the import feature. When I use Lightroom on my personal computer at home, the options for destination automatically appear. This is not the case here. I have shared your explanation with our IT staff, but shouldn't my C: appear?

Do you want my screen snapshots? Thanks very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rudyo2645... Have a look at my first screen capture. At the left top of the import dialog you should see where you can choose the source to import the files from. After choosing the source files you can then proceed to choose one of the options at the top of the dialog box.

1. Copy as DNG ( Copy to a new location, import, and convert to DNG)

2. Copy ( Copy photos to new location and add to Catalog)

3. Move ( Move photos to new location and add to Catalog)

4. Add ( Add photos to Catalog without moving them) .

With the first three choices you should get the option in the right side of the dialog to choose a Destination.

The last option Add you do not get the option to select a Destination.

There are lots of free video tutorials that can help at the link below. It is vital and critical that you fully understand how the Lightroom Catalog function works other wise you will certainly continue to run into problems.

Lightroom Training Videos « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. That's what I needed to know. I will need to spend time reviewing why default subfolders are created when I created a folder during the import process. Likely something has changed from my home version and the latest version I am using--this is not what happens on my older home version (as I can recall).

Yes, I'll review the tutorials. I do understand how importing works, but will acquaint myself with the latest changes from my older home version. Appreciate your help.

Rudy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines