• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying hundreds of different files as layers to a single base file. Automating it.

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I don't know where else to ask for help. I dont really know how to word this request for help either.

I have a sequence of 500 images showing movement in the sky.

I have a base image (image 1 of the sequence) representing the landscape I want to use.

I would like to sequentially layer each of my other 499 frames as a layer over frame 1, with blending mode screen.

The point then is to create a timelapse movie sequence out of the new files.

Put another way.

I have files 1, 2, 3,4 ,5 ,6 etc where file 1 is my foreground.

I would like to create an action that layers file 2 on file 1 in screen blend mode, saves it in a new folder with the same name.

Then in a new document it layers file 3 on file 1 in blend mode, and saves it in that new folder.

Then in a new document it layers file 4 on file 1 and so on until I have a folder full of files with File 1 layered under each of the other files.

I could do this manually, but theres got to be a way to automate this?

thanks for any suggestions

cheers,

Malcolm

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An action can not use logic and to do do that requires the use of logic.  That process would need to be scripted.  If you have programming skills and knowledge of Photoshop. You could learn Photoshop scripting and program your process.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks.

I do have a requirement that each sub-frame be available for any other purpose.

So while I did try the stack/frame animation method, and I appreciate the response I am on the other track.

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was mostly covered in my reply to this topic:

Re: Auto saving hundreds of picture-in-picture batch/script help!?

This should be easily done with a simple batch action, no need for a script unless I am missing something.

The action steps will be pretty simple:

Presuming that your variable “frame” layers have a single true layer and not a flattened Background image:

1) Set current layer to screen blending mode

2) Place (the common static background image)

3) Move current layer to back layer (using keyboard shortcut)

When run as a batch, the exisiting variable frame image will have it’s layer mode set screen, next the static background image is placed and then moved behind the variable layer.

This should create 499 layered files, each with the same static background with a variable layer above it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually since he wants to create a timelapse movie he is making the process much harder than it need be.  The whole thing could simply be done by loading his 499 frame images into a stack. Change all layers blending mode to screen. Create a frame animation. Use fly-out menu item make frame from layers.  Check New layer appear in all frames in the fly-out menu options. Then place in their background on the bottom of the layer stack. Select all Frames set some time duration  Then export the timelapse video or frame animation.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With regards to the batch process, I got a weird result. It seemed to only process every second file. So my solutions was to run it twice. Once on the first file, and once on the second file. I end up where I want to be, but with a strange requirement to run the process twice!

thanks very much

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines