• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedding GIFs

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to ID and am wondering how to embed a GIF in an ID interactive PDF document - so that the GIF plays automatically when viewing the PDF... Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

It is not possible to play GIFs in a PDF. I would recommend not to use GIF at all in InDesign, it makes no sense. Even interactive PDF is not the best idea to make.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not possible to play GIFs in a PDF. I would recommend not to use GIF at all in InDesign, it makes no sense. Even interactive PDF is not the best idea to make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gifs in Indesign is discussed here

https://indesignsecrets.com/animated-gifs-indesign.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mind elaborating on why using GIF in InDesign makes no sense and why interactive PDFs are not good ideas? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, to play movies in a PDF you have to have Flash. Flash is not supported on iOS and other mobile devices.

PDF is NOT supposed to be used with movies or Flash content.

When it comes to InDesign: GIF supports maximum 256 Colors. It does not support real transparency, only pure transparency or full opacity. That is why GIFs look terrible in InDesign.

PNG would be a better choice, but not the best as PNG is only rasterised and does only support alpha transparency (better than GIF) but not the different modes as they are supported in PDFs or AI files.

Both, GIF and PNG, lack of full support of color management. GIF not even a little bit. So my Advice: DON’T USE GIF IN INDESIGN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines