• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Add an external topic into TOC in WebHelb project

Aug 20, 2008 Aug 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sir,

I would like to add an external topic into my TOC tree in webhelp project but I do not know how. I did it right in a HTML help project but for Webhelp I cannot find the right place.

thanks..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely it is the same?

Create a new page and use the Link To dropdown.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for CHM prjoects:
Create new page >> Use the link drop down>> then remote topic
if webhelp is the default layout, there is no place to add the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected. I thought the Link To had the same options as the Link To when creating links from topics but for some reason it doesn't.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Wouldn't this be simply clicking the Link To drop down and choosing "Web Address"? You would then specify the path to the topic.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... only if it has a web address?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heya buddy

Not following you here. Are you saying it insists on prefixing with http://? My thought was that if a topic was perhaps a folder level higher and another folder down, one could use HTML shorthand to accomplish it. Something like this:

../SomeOtherFolder/OtherTopic.htm

Or maybe I'm missing the whole point. Which might be that ahlam323 is wanting a way to use a dialog to browse to a topic in a different project? In that case, I would think a Wish Form may be in order.

Click here to view the WishForm/Bug Reporting Form

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is what I am saying, relative paths do not work.

The first post in the thread said "I would like to add an external topic into my TOC..." and the problem is there is no dialog or backdoor method of doing that. Pasting in the relative path fails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heya

Hmmm, I'm looking through the thread and I don't see where any specific RoboHelp version is mentioned. So maybe it's different if the version is 6 or X5. Haven't tested there. But I conducted a small test using version 7 and it seems to work for me.

Here is what I did.

Added a page to the TOC
Gave the page a title the user would see
Typed ../SomeOtherFolder/SomeTopic.htm into the Link to field
Clicked OK

After that, I do note that RoboHelp senses the link is invalid by presenting the page with a nice little red X. But after generating WebHelp, I do see the page in the output and it is correctly pointing to the relative address. So as long as the pathing is correct, it would seem that it would work. So the red X is probably just a Red Herring?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what I did and it failed. I will take another look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I am getting is that even though I paste the link in, RH is checking it.

So if I enter ../myfile.htm first RH will change it to ..\myfile.htm which would work with IE but I think FF would reject it.

However, if I allow for the fact that the output will be in the SSL folder that relative path would not work. Easy me thinks, change the relative path that I paste so that it reads ../../../myfile.htm but RH comes along and changes the slashes and then "corrects" the relative path.

Rick, are you generating outside the project or to the SSL?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heya

"Generating outside the project or to the SSL"

I'm guessing you are asking if my output folder is the WebHelp folder found inside the !SSL! folder? If so, yes I'm generating to that folder.

Okay, so I see what you are referring to here. Indeed RoboHelp does seem to be flipping the forward slashes to backward slashes when I look at the TOC entry later.

Okay, finally the fog is clearing. After I generated and was looking, I was opening in FireFox and hovering the link. I was seeing forward slashes. Somehow spaced off the fact that it was explicitly looking for the folder to be present in the WebHelp folder. Hmmmm, how to overcome.

I've got an idea here. What if a redirect page were used? Simply configure the redirect to point to the relative path and point the TOC entry to the redirect?

Pondering out loud here.

Out of curiosity, how does one normally go about creating project to project links in your normal Merged WebHelp scenario? I figured you had that all sorted as that's the way you fly there, no?

Cheers and thanks for keeping an old dog honest... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes a redirect from a completely blank topic in the project would do it without the user realising.

When you create links between topics the Link To dropdown has an additonal option as above. It is not in the TOC Link To.

Puzzled though as I thought you said it worked for you or did you assume it was good as hovering the link looked correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using robohelp 7, but I think the same problem exists in version 6.
Is this a bug on the software or there is a solution for this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2008 Aug 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It is not a bug, it just has not been designed in. You need to request this as a feature.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp