• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create an image placeholder in a master page, that its position is locked

Participant ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this is super basic, but I have tried to search this answer but come up with  nothing, I am possible looking up the wrong terms.

I want to create a master page with a placeholder that its position is locked, so that when used I can drop an image in its place and the image can be moved but the frame fixed. So dimensions and place on the document cannot be moved or altered only the actual image can be adjusted.

Many Thanks

Matt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

I figured it out!!!!!

Go to Preferences > General and DESELECT Prevent Selection of Unlocked Objects and you will get what winterm is seeing!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lock the layer with this frame after all placings.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw a placeholder on a master page and lock it (Object > Lock). When overridden on a document page a graphic frame still stays unmovable (locked) while its content becomes editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must still be doing something wrong.

I'm on version CC 2017 on a mac.

I can lock it exactly as it says above, when I get to the document page I have then selected Override All Master Page items, I can see that it is editable (--- to a solid line) and it is locked. But nothing can be pasted in to the placeholder. It only places it self where I click so above the place holder.

Also I thought I could detach an item from the master rather than all of the master page by click cmd+ shift and click but, this does nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, couldn't replicate your problem on CC2017, Windows 10.

Drag'n'drop works just fine on overridden or not overridden (with additional click) frames. A frame may be overridden by Override All command or cmd+shift+click, no difference.

Also works File>Place (with frame overridden and selected). Did you try this?

Finally, a bit dirty workaround, if nothing of the above works (but it must!):

Just place your image aside, Cut it, Detach graphic frame from master, Paste Into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this helps there could be something obvious that I am doing wrong..

Indesign Masters Page - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, what you showed it's not exactly drag'n'drop, however, Placing also works on my side.

Everything in your video seems ok ... except the result.

Did you try detach frame, select it, choose File>Place, in Options activate Replace Selected Item, before hitting ok?

Not needed here on Windows, but may it be something Mac-specific?

I have a hard time to offer solution not being able to replicate the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I'm getting the same results, Mattmcquiff. If the graphic placeholder frame is locked on the master page, I cannot add an image to it on a body page, and I cannot Cmd Sh click to override it. Pages panel menu > Override all Master Page items isn't helping, either. I tried on CC 2017 and CS6, same results.

What am I missing winterm​?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You, Barb!

Most likely, the only thing you're missing here is Windows

Since I can do it easily on CS6, Win7 and CC2017, Win10. No difference: with locked graphic placeholder frame on the master page, add an image to it on a body page (overridden or not, via Place or drag'n'drop), override it with Ctrl+Shift+click or Override All Master Page Items command (but it's not necessary) ... All this just works here.

Would be fine to get a confirmation from other Windows users, though... Just for my sanity

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows CC 2015, and I CAN'T place the image into a graphic frame locked on the master page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just booted up my Surface Pro (Windows 10) and wait for it... same result!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same result as Mac or same result as winterm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 7 CS6, and I CAN'T place either the image into a graphic frame locked on the master page.

I'm starting to worry about your sanity winterm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out!!!!!

Go to Preferences > General and DESELECT Prevent Selection of Unlocked Objects and you will get what winterm is seeing!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sandee,

didn't check this, but it can be the case, indeed!

Since I always do keep that setting in Prefs unchecked.

If so, my sanity THANKS YOU

EDIT: just checked... YES, that's it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point Sandee...

I would have never thought about that option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much everyone, I couldn't believe that this simple thing was missing from InDesign!

Also Shift Cmd click also works!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just shows you that once we get on a problem, we don’t let go until it is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow! I had no idea that was there! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines