• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicating "Clean Comps for Reuse in AE Library?

Enthusiast ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to build an AE library of animated characters and backgrounds and other animated bits that are reusable in different combinations -- to make a series of short cartoons with recurring characters. I want to keep "clean copies" of some of the comps so I can have them to duplicate and change just certain elements. F.I. a floating fish, who would appear in 4 comps/short scenes - but only the text - kind of a caption - changes.

So far the method I found & tried was: to export the file via file dependencies and then reimport and rename it (from this lynda movie: Moving compositions between projects in After Effects

It seems to work - but is this a good way to do that? Any other suggestions on best and safe practices? Many thanks in advance!

I did notice that the text in the comp had a trasition applied throught he Mr. Horse plugin - and when I reimported it - Mr.Horse "flagged a problem" and asked me if I wanted him to fix it. So I thought - maybe remove the transitions before export - but then what if I use Motion2 or a plugin like that, and do lots of tweaking to an animation that I'd like to save for reuse. Is that a problem I should plan for and remove all transitions applied by non-core AE software?

BTW: I'm in CS6.

Yet another BTW: Just as a "BTW" I was thinking about those "Explainer Creator Kits" you buy at Envato. I'm trying to create that kind of Library/Kit for my own work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Once you get all of your elements built, you can save it as a Template project (.aet file). Then you can import that into any project you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines