Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting from ID EPub to Mobi Causes Text to Overlap

Participant ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Doing some research for my boss. He's been trying to convert an epub (created from Indesign) into a mobi (using Kindle Previewer, but when he does so, the resulting mobi has overlapping text. The font is Myriad Pro, but other epubs are using that font are often able to convert without difficulty. Does anyone know what causes this and how it can be fixed?  

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Reflowable or Fixed Layout? I’m not sure fixed layout works with Kindle at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible to answer without a lot more info including version of InDesign, how you’re viewing both the EPUB and the MOBI file.

Does the EPUB itself validate? Is it 2.x or 3.x?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have Indesign (2017) and he's exporting it using 3.x. He would be viewing the epub using Ibooks, but opening it in Kindle Previewer to convert it. However, once it's converted, the text overlaps. He's tried deleting the encryption file for the fonts but that doesn't change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reflowable or Fixed Layout? I’m not sure fixed layout works with Kindle at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reflowable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve never seen anything like that. Have you considered simply submitting the EPUB to Amazon and letting them do the conversion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not really up to me.  The thing is, it's just this file that has the problem, so there has to be a way to fix it, i just don't know how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the EPUB is fine, the issue is the Kindle Previewer conversion. It’s not an InDesign issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nevermind. All of our other textbooks are reflowable, so when I said this was reflowable, I honestly thought this one would be. However, just found out that this one is fixed, which is probably the problem. Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines