Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Disappears using Publish Online, Windows system

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text Disappears using Publish Online

Windows, InDesign 2017.0 Release (12.0.0.81 x64 Build)

All attempts to use the Publish Online feature result in disappearing text. Images appear, but text does not. The text appears fine when exporting to PDF.

After reading through the community forum, I have tried various methods.

• Save as a IDML file – did not fix the problem
  • Create a new file from scratch – did not fix the problem
  • Test case of creating a new file (8.5 x 8.5), placing a simple text box in the center of the page using the default font – text disappeared.

To recreate the steps:

1. File, New Document, Document Preset: Default, Intent: Web [Choose OK button]
  2. Using the Text tool, draw a text box in middle of the page and type “This is a test”
  3. Save File or Don’t Save File – your choice, same outcome either way.
  4. Choose Publish Online, Publish New Document, Pages: All, Export as Single [Choose Publish button]
  5. View Document – it’s blank

Can anyone advise as to how to create a document where the text appears when using the Publish Online feature of InDesign on a Windows system?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does the print preview look like in InDesign?

Did you apply any form of transparency as it is not supported in HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Print Preview looks fine. No transparencies. If I create a new document with all the defaults, select the text tool, enter some text, Publish Online - I can see the text in the preview, but not in the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linne,

what is your browser you are using for testing the published document online?

The "text" in an publish online document is converted to SVG shapes and is not live HTML text.

Does your browser support SVG?

Please post a link to the published document where you cannot see the text.
Maybe others can see the "text" when using different browsers or different browser settings.

And: Can you provide a sample InDesign document for testing?

Also the exported PDF.

Perhaps you could zip both files and upload the zip to your Dropbox account ( or a similar service ) and share the download link with us.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm testing with both Chrome and Edge browsers.

Sample of Publish Online - published

https://indd.adobe.com/view/819cabe9-8648-4967-932c-bd61668ceadc

DropBox Link (Zip file with InDesign file and exported PDF)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/souwr1clbsipkuh/InDesignCC2017-PublishOnline-TextTest.zip?dl=0

Thank you for your help here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linne,

I tested your link to the published document:

There is no text visible ( Firefox browser on OSX 10.10.5 ).

And I think everything is ok with your document.

Opened and published your document with my InDesign CC 2017 v12.0.0.81 on OSX 10.10.5:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/5cda19b8-3bcf-4cd5-a0f8-3c1fbda8ab93

Clearly the text is visible.

I downloaded your publish online document page using the browser's Save command and inspected the code of your publication.html file. The whole SVG section is missing. So I suspect that something's wrong with your SVG export module of InDesign.

Maybe something on your system is distracting your SVG module.

Do you have any browsers open when publishing online?

Are some browser extensions active when publishing online?

First I would try again without a browser open.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for running that test for me. I too can see the text at the link you created.

I rebooted the system, opened the file in InDesign with no other applications or browsers running, did Publish Online and no text.

What is the "SVG export module of InDesign?" How do I check for that? a plugin? Something I didn't install? Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linne  wrote

… What is the "SVG export module of InDesign?" How do I check for that? a plugin? Something I didn't install? Suggestions?

I mean InDesign's function to render text as SVG shapes when output with Publish Online.
All functionality with InDesign is stored in an internal plug-in infrastructure around some core functions that hold the plug-ins together.

Could also something with your plug-in that does Publish Online…

What can you do?
Uninstall and reinstall InDesign perhaps?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign. Problem persists. Not sure what to do... Is there some way to reinstall the internal plug-in infrastructure for the core functions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I'm running out of ideas…

Hm. Uninstalling and reinstalling the CC Desktop app would be my next guess.

But before doing this, let's see if Adobe staff is stopping by.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke with Technical Support and neither the tech nor his supervisor were familiar with the SVG export module or why that would be a problem. I waited their suggested 3 hours to try again... and I still no text appeared using the Publish Online feature. Looks like my only remaining option is to uninstall Adobe Creative Cloud. <insert deep heavy sigh>

Thank you for your support out here and wish me luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Linne!

I have the same problem... Did you found solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here a comparison of code with both publication.html files.

Left is mine, right is yours where the whole <svg … /svg> section is missing:

CodeComparison-PublishOnline.png

Note: The value of class for "_idContainer000" is different from yours, because I'm on a German inDesign on OSX 10.10.5.

It says "Einfacher-Textrahmen" wheras yours is saying "Basic-Text-Frame". But that's not the culprit, I think.

Both publish online documents are showing the same thumbnails preview where the text is visible:

PreviewIsShowingText.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines