Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transfer Indesign Shortcuts

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe

I bought a new computer and installed my second CC version on it. I wanted to transfer my Indesign Shortcuts. But the sync-option is gone since 2015 or 2014 and I don't see a possibility to do it.

I opened the shortcuts on my older Mac and hit «Show Set». I copied the .txt File and replace the content of a new set's txt file on my new computer with the content of the old one.

(Just placing the Shortcuts.txt within /Users/****/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 12.0/en_US does not do the trick).

Indesign somehow ignores the .txt file, and does not change the shortcuts.

How the hell can I do that?

And why does it get more difficult after every update? Earlier this was just much easier...

Cheers

PS: I am using the newest Indesign 2017.0 Release

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Previous system:

Goto : C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\[Version]\[language]\InDesign Shortcut Sets

and copy the .INDK file that you have created the keyboard shortcut key

and

Current system:

Goto : C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\[Version]\[language]\InDesign Shortcut Sets

and paste the .INDK file that you have copy it.

Enjoy!!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are use wrong .txt file extension. Right is .indk

InDesign: Customized Keyboard Shortcut Files Import - YouTube

- see it the process in this video.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. If I create a new set and click «Show set» it is a .txt File already. I did not come up with that. Your video refers to older version of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

philippanmei​ @George_Salnik

Well you were right. It is very consufing, that when clicking on «Show Set» it will open a cached .txt file instead of the .indk file.

This got me completely confused.

I had to search for the right Path on Mac, but I guess it works (I am currently at work and don't have my old computer with me).

Mac Path:

/Users/*****/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 12.0/en_US/InDesign Shortcut Sets/ShortcutSet.indk

Thank you both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the Mac path!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do one thing

1. Click on show set that you've created shortcut keys already and copy it the matter.

2. Now open the Indesign that you want to transfer into it and click on New set, after given the new set name now click on show set and paste it the created shortcut keys.

Hope this should work

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@philippanmei

Well that was exactly what I did. I revealed my custom set via «show Set» and copied its content into the new set I just created.

Unfortunately InDesign somehow does not even check what is in those Files. It will just override it with the default one.

Also I created a new set – let's call it "Testset.txt". I shut down ID. Then I deleted the new set "Testset.txt" from the en_US folder.

Then I launched ID again. After startup I navigated to Shortcuts and I could still select the Testset from the selectable Keyboard sets – although the file did not exist anymore. If I clicked on «Show Set» in that situation it would open a finder window with a newly created "Testset.txt" file in the folder en_US.

Where does this come from? I clearly deleted it.

It seems that ID has another place to save those kinda files or it just creates new ones out of nowhere... really confusing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previous system:

and copy the .INDK file that you have created the keyboard shortcut key

and

Current system:

and paste the .INDK file that you have copy it.

Enjoy!!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines