• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2017 – misconduct upon entering numeric value in color bar's percentage field

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear members of this forum,

I want to change a certain portion of text to a lighter shade of its original color, using the color bar by entering a numeric value in the percentage field. Now here's the problem I am encountering since upgrading to Mac OS 10.12 "Sierra" and InDesign CC 2017: having marked a part of text and then, instead of using the slider, inserting a value (for example: 60) in the percentage field of the color bar (using a "global" color) and verifying this as usual with either "Tab-Stop" or "Enter", the percentage field keeps the 100 value and the marked Text changes to the inserted value (in this case: changes to "60"). Also the "Tab-Stop" or "Enter"-command appear in the text and create, of course, either a Tab-Stop or a Paragraph. This is annoying, as I got used to work with numeric values instead of touching the tedious slider. I have been looking for a preferences-checkbox which might cause this, but found nothing. I tested this with existing as well as newly created documents, and on different accounts, including one with a never before used InDesign 2017 with factory settings intact. The same problem occurs everywhere. The old versions of InDesign (CC, CC2014, CC2015, still kept for emergency) are running accurately, saving my day at the moment. I already contacted Adobe yesterday and a transaction number was created, so they, too, will come back to me on this one. I made a screen video for them showing the issue, which can be viewed here

Adobe Creative Cloud

So, if anyone else encounters this misbehaviour and maybe can provide a solution, please be welcome.

This is my first time in any forum ever, so I hope I did everything by the book and not too elaborately.

Cheers,

Mark

– Mac Pro (late 2010), Mac OS 10.12.3 (16D32), 32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3, SSD –

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Known bug on Mac.

1. Turn on "Application Frame" under menu "Window".

and / or

2. Navigate to Preferences -> Advanced Type -> Show Adornment on Text Selection/Text Frame for more Type controls  >>  uncheck these.

There's three cases where the bug hits: The Paragraph Panel, the Control Panel and the Color Panel.

Adobe is aware of the issue and is working on it (so they say ). It concerns Mac users only. At the moment the above workaround is most acceptable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known bug on Mac.

1. Turn on "Application Frame" under menu "Window".

and / or

2. Navigate to Preferences -> Advanced Type -> Show Adornment on Text Selection/Text Frame for more Type controls  >>  uncheck these.

There's three cases where the bug hits: The Paragraph Panel, the Control Panel and the Color Panel.

Adobe is aware of the issue and is working on it (so they say ). It concerns Mac users only. At the moment the above workaround is most acceptable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear winterm,

thanks for the quick reply; I am glad that I don't have to use the height-eating App Frame from now on, because just unchecking the two "Advanced Type" options already did the trick.

Hopefully Adobe fixes this in a later update, for the dropdown adornment options came in quite handy sometimes (though before life hat been fine without it, too).

Best regards, and keep up the good work!

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines