• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked Text fields

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating an indesign document I will be exporting to an interactive PDF file. In this document I would like to have a text field, which is linked to other text fields in the document (f.e. in text field 1 the user enters a name, and in text field 2 and 3 this name will be displayed). Is this possible in any way? I was already looking into linking the standard interactive text fields but I did not have any succes so far.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

What version of InDesign are you on?

Are the fields originally on a master page, or have they been created independently on a regular (live) page? If they originate on a master page, InDesign renames each one.

Also, check in Acrobat what their names are. InDesign renames fields and can break some of this stuff at export...

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give the fields the same name in InDesign. That way their output will echo each other in Acrobat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, thank you for your response. I tried this but it did not work, unless I am doing something wrong...

I have 2 identical text fields, both with the exact same name and properties set in the buttons and forms window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign are you on?

Are the fields originally on a master page, or have they been created independently on a regular (live) page? If they originate on a master page, InDesign renames each one.

Also, check in Acrobat what their names are. InDesign renames fields and can break some of this stuff at export...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign indeed renamed the fields (or i did not name them correctly...), but when I changed the names in Acrobat it worked correctly! Thank you for helping out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign are you using? I think this feature/bug was introducted in CC. IIRC, in CS6 InDesign leaves our field names well alone... So if renaming in Acrobat is a hassle, you may want to try preparing the form in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look like there are serious issues with exporting interactive PDFs from InDesign these days, particularly when it comes to field naming. I do think it's a bug, not a feature. Here are some more in-depth links:

Re: Text fields with the same name - stopped working

and especially:

Re: Has the ability to have multiple fields with the same name been removed?

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a related question. If I create a document with multiple text fields, they are automatically named "Text Field 1" "Text Field 2" "Text Field 3" etc. However, if I delete one, and then resume making more text fields, InDesign skips that number. Example: If I delete "Text Field 2", my text boxes go from "Text Box 1" to "Text Box 3" to "Text Box 4." Is there a way to get InDesign not to skip that number? We have a document with many text fields, so I don't want to manually change the name of all of them. Is there a way to set the naming so that it doesn't skip over numbers that you have deleted? InDesign​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines