• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What the heck am I doing?

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am at a total loss! I have so far figured out how to layer and manipulate a photo in Photoshop. But that is 1000 steps from where I need to be! I am buying everything here in this creative cloud that is supposed to make my life simpler - and its been 36 non stop hours of FRUSTRATION!

I need to create a web design for a homepage.  So, I thought I would try element by element. I attempted to create a 1280 x 440 pixel header SAMPLE for a flexslider.  The image I wanted to upload is a different size.  So rather than be kind enough to put it on a blank canvas for me, the ENTIRE image (wrong dimensions) becomes my canvas instead.  So now, I have one image, wrong size - so cant even get past that step.

Then I decide to break it down by elements even more and selected some artwork from Illustrator.  There is an infographic I particularly like.  It states the inforgraphic is EDITABLE, but where and how on Gods green earth does one get the file to OPEN so I can customize it?

There has got to be a better way to create a simple website homepage design!

I am not trying to code an entire site or build one. If I wanted to do that - I would go to WordPress and work with a nice Boostrap Template.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you looking for help with ps (bitmap editing) or with ai (vector graphic editing) or something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for help to design a homepage for a website.  I would like to start by creating a nice header with 1280 x 440 size, then superimpose that onto a canvas that will show the entire expected design.  I have built hundreds of websites - but have never just performed a design.  I can draw it by hand - but it would be much more attractive to have a nice final product to show the client before coding out the site. So I am trying to accomplish that and had no idea that photoshop is one of the hardest programs to ever use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InvokeMediaGroup  schrieb

So I am trying to accomplish that and had no idea that photoshop is one of the hardest programs to ever use.

This you may say about all the Adobe apps and all the coding languages. They all have a steep learning curve.

I understand the you want to draw a mockup for a homepage, right?

Instead of ranting you better should describe what type of header you have in mind.

A composition of some images plus some text? Or? ...

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Photoshop General Discussion​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a bit of insight: these are top end professional tools which you can't expect to just play with and get good results. Professional training is really a must, especially if you're new to this kind of software or task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(This is nothing personal. But I'm picking up the "36 hours" part, which is no time at all in my opinion)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought reaching out to professionals in industry was seeking professional training. It's funny. Anyone ever needs help wireframing I'm happy to help. Anyone needs professional insight for SEO or social media happy to help.

But it I can't help but realize when I seek some in this field in particular - lots of snarkiness.

So. I headed your advice and have hired a professional graphic designer whose answers I noticed were helpful and not demeaning to others.

Wasnt trying to play lay with anyone btw. It's the forum the creative cloud refers individuals to. Even when we specify BEGINNER.  So clearly a major glitch in Adobe processes to place beginners with the "big boys". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

google whichever program (eg, photoshop cc) you want to learn along with the keywords "novice beginner tutorial".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew you wouldn't like the reply, but I felt it was important to make the point. Sorry it comes over as snarky, but your post suggests a complete disconnect from what people who use Photoshop professionally find. Take the analogy of carpentry. You can buy the very best, most expensive, carpentry tools, but that won't teach you how to make a cabinet. "Thought reaching out to professionals in industry was seeking professional training"  No, that's seeking professional help. You won't get trained by reading a few replies. By professional training I mean structured study, either a hands on course, or a program of training with something like Lynda.com. Adobe's Classroom in a Book is another approach. Beware of training which trains you endlessly in what you can do, but nothing about what is a good or bad decision, how to collaborate with others and with industrial and web processes etc. Expect to be an apprentice for at least a year, if you study hard. Above all, though, find people you work well with and who you respect. Might not be us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No - one of reasons cant stand these forum is that you dont get to hear the tone.  TOTALLY APPRECIATED your feedback.  I also did feel compelled to point out that this has historically been the case when dealing in this world.  Its ironic - I could develop great written content, write clean code, perform spectacular SEO and conduct extremely successful marketing campaigns - but if I am unable to work with a particular software or manipulate a photo - I get some of the feedback I have seen.  So my apologies that a THANK YOU was not also included. I subcontracted this out - but I have also signed up through lynda.com for courses - and a mention of something like that would have been a good start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines