• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nudge with arrow keys stopped working

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I was working on a document and tried nudging the box using the arrow keys. It didn't work. It is really weird. The selected box flickers with each keystroke, but nothing moves.

I restarted Indesign and it started working again.

This morning I opened the same document. Problem reappears. I restart Indesign, problem is still happening.

I created a new document, thinking the original might have been corrupted. Nope, still can't nudge.

My arrow keys work correctly, my keyboard is connected. My layers and objects are unlocked.

My Indesign is 2017, build 12.0.0.81

One thing I did do yesterday was install a script. However, looking over the script I don't see anything that would obviously cause the nudge problem.  InDesign: Resize Document Window? - Lena Shore

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

So, somehow the same problem happened to my co-worker. Weird. But another co-worker had the solution.

Somehow the Keyboard Cursor Increment field in Preferences was set to 0. How did that happen?

We did find out why this was happening, but not yet how this happened. I will go ahead and see if the preferences are the problem. or the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would do the following, in this order:

1. Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences and test to see if that takes care of it.
  2. Uninstall the script to see if that takes care of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, somehow the same problem happened to my co-worker. Weird. But another co-worker had the solution.

Somehow the Keyboard Cursor Increment field in Preferences was set to 0. How did that happen?

We did find out why this was happening, but not yet how this happened. I will go ahead and see if the preferences are the problem. or the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is so interesting! Resetting prefs would have restored that, but I've never seen that happen all by itself. Is your co-worker using the same script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't thank you enough for posting this answer, mauphie77. It was my problem, exactly, and was driving me crazy. I also have no idea how the settings were changed, but am relieved to have found a solve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mauphie77! Nailed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over 20 years using photoshop, Most spooky and annyoing thing to ever happen to me using this software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My new version of Photoshop CC2021 is having the same issue - it's driving me nuts!
Add to that the glitch with the color selection tool freezing the whole software and I'm seriously annoyed at Adobe for releasing this version with such obvious issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar issues but with the CC libraries. Every time i opened them it would freeze everything. I uninstalled and reinstalled the progam twice, along with a full shutdown and it still kept freezing. SOMEHOW it just magically stopped freezing after multiple shutdowns. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried both throw / reset the preference file and the other tips without success – my arrow keys still did not work for nudging.

I then installed the previous version of Indesign - 16.2.1 - and then the problem disappeared.

However, I have never experienced anything like this before and hope that Adobe solves this as soon as possible.

Could this problem have something to do with the fact that the latest version is adapted for the M1 chip and therefore causes problems for us with older computers (Macs)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Sahlprod,

Good to hear you've solved it... Just happened to me in the middle of a deadline as per usual!

How do I reinstall an older ID version?

Thanks

Toby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had this issue arrise now. I've tried to follow the given advice but the files theu are saying within the link to remove ro rename aren't in the folders they are suggesting. Files I'm looking for are below -

'InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData'

Any thoughts on this?

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was driving me BATTY all day yesterday! Changing the preferences didn't help. Today I just quit and re-launced and it "magically" began working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have this issue in Animate CC today, in the middle of my workflow suddenly nudging stopped working. I have restarted, reset preferences, changed batteries in my keyboard etc. 

Very tiresome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines