• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Three Newbie Questions ....

LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1: If I store all my originals in an online service such as One Drive or Dropbox is there a workflow for that?

2: Can a catalogue be broken down into sub-catalogues.

3: For example if I import images from my iPad or external drive and I delete/move the original from the iPad or external drive what happens to the image in Lightroom?

Thanks in advance. Still trying to figure out what images end up where and what happens to them.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

1.  No.  Basically, Original images must be located on an internal or connected external drive.

2.  No.   One catalog is recommended. With multiple catalogs you cannot cross reference or look at data in one catalog from another.

3. "What happens to them?"-  They are permanently deleted, wiped, gone!  There are no images stored 'in Lightroom'.

I suggest you read the free ebook available-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/blog/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  No.  Basically, Original images must be located on an internal or connected external drive.

2.  No.   One catalog is recommended. With multiple catalogs you cannot cross reference or look at data in one catalog from another.

3. "What happens to them?"-  They are permanently deleted, wiped, gone!  There are no images stored 'in Lightroom'.

I suggest you read the free ebook available-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/blog/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1. I think that One Drive (which I don't use), and definitely Dropbox requires a local folder for your files.

So yes, you can can at least use Dropbox for your files.

I have for some time kept both the catalog and the photos on Dropbox to be able to work from two computers, and this has worked very well. (home and office)

But it requires some caution. When finished on one computer, close Lightroom, and wait for all files to upload, and make sure that Dropbox is up to date before using the other computer.

On the other computer, don't launch Lightroom until all files have downloaded from Dropbox (up to date).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines