Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart previewa dont follow collection exportet and imported to other Catalog

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm at a loss why collections that have their smart previews,

such collections that I export as a catalogue, (there don't have mart previews anymore, hence..)..don't have previews when I import these collection into my main catalog.

(I must maybe say that I do this without the external HD with the RAWs connected - but that should not matter in my actual understanding.)

Thank You(!) for explaining how to repair or avoid that..!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

When you export as catalog, you should be checking the box that says Build/Include Smart Previews. Are you doing that?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the menu command Library->Previews->Build Smart Previews

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for Your response !

..I understand that i can do that (rebuild previews as soon as I connect the HD with the original files),

but

do You mean that having previews -and smart previews- to follow collections-exported-as-catalogs is not even possible in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mean that. I don't know, I have never tried to do this. For what its worth, I use a single catalog for ALL my photos, and so this problem would never arise for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Preview are part of the Catalog. They do not export when exporting as a Catalog. In the new catalog you will need to build smart previews again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First part of Your answer does not contribute to better understanding in conjunction to the second phrase. However the message is now understood. Maybe this first part could read :

1)Smart (any?) previews never leave a catalog.

2)They do not export when exporting as a Catalog. In the new catalog you will need to build smart previews again.

Seems exceedingly dry to me that LR does not state this (remind of) in the info-statement windows.

Thank You for having followed this up and settled the doubts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export as catalog, you should be checking the box that says Build/Include Smart Previews. Are you doing that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no..I did not see that, and Indeed I overlooked it; the possibility (necessity) is there to tick so right at the start !

Thank You so much (meanwhile I went to the trouble to get the external HD I had not with me at the time) to "repair" the situation by rebuilding smart previews.

Now I will know for next time !

( ..And so You started to think about that exporting a collection to become an independent catalog  -temporarily or not-  could come in useful for You to ?!)

Thank You !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Meanwhile new contribution brought the correct answer :

Exporting (smart) previews .. is available as on option, not automatic, when exporting a collection as a catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines