Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom unusable after update to 6.8

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Lightroom was runing perfect. It was basic version installed from CD (6.0 or sth like that). I have updated it to 6.8 and after that is unusable slow. In library some catalogues have no number of pictures only 3 dots (...) it takes very long to calculate this count and load images ("loading..."). In develop it takes very long like few minutes to load picture. After picture is loaded lightroom works ok for a moment, i can load other images quickly. But after minute or two it slows down again and cannot load any picture. Whith this update to 6.8 some settings was changed and it stop working. Switching off GPU acceleration dosnt help. it is windows 10 laptop with ssd, pictures are on external drive. CPU and RAM usage during loading is at constant low level (30% and 50%). It was working very smooth just before update.

How to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could roll back Lightroom to 6.7 to see if that works

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/roll-back-update-previous/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have actually uninstalled it and instal from DVD - which is 6.0. It works perfect now. I will try this 6.7...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, ive installed 6.7 and it looks having the same problem as 6.8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yaqbpl

Is the facedetection activated?

If yes try to switch that off.

kind regards

Daniel (from Switzerland)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, facedetecetion was not activated it is not this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so? i noticed it was working ok if i didnt expand catalogues without calculated amounts of pictures. if i did i can forget about using lightroom. but i have to do that to work with this pictures. how can i get support? i paid for that software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't hold your breath for support from Adobe. This, and other serious performance issues are well known to Adobe but have existed in release after release, with no word from Adobe on what is the problem, how to fix, or if they are working on a fix.

There are numerous threads about it - hard to find with the way Adobe now structure the forums - bottom line seems to be put up with the extra hours to edit, roll back to an old version (loses some of the tools) or move to another software (capture One now have the choice to buy outright or subscribe)

I probably sound a little peeved at Lightroom....and I am. Fast i7 processor, 32GB RAM, SSD's, 8GB VRAM GPU, - can color grade 4k in Video Davinci Resolve in real time (DR is the most hardware intensive prog I know) but Lightroom?? seems the more computing power the worse it performs. It has cost me hours over the last several months. Have been very resistant to change/learn more software, and we have our whole Library system on Lightroom so its a fairly big job to move, but feeling very backed into a corner these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you tried to «optimize» the catalog?

(file - optimize catalog) (so shown on a Mac)

Kind regards

Daniel (from Switzerland)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you have to ask that Daniel, and I appreciate you are trying to help, and I really really don't want to come across offensive....BUT, to be quite honest I for one have kinda had enough of being asked if I have optimized the catalog.

the original poster has already stated that rolling back to LR6 fixes the issue, updating to latest kills performance, so not really an optimize issue.

there are serious performance issues in the last few iterations of LR and users - those paying for it - would like a little input from Adobe.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed initial 6.0 - working perfect -> 6.8 - stucking on sth, cannot work -> back to 6.0 working ok -> try 6.7 stuck on sth cannot work -> back again to 6.0 it works

...should i continue with 6.6, 6.5 and so on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you've got the time to shag about then yeah try 6.5, 6.6......but for me the probs have existed in the last few releases, so if 6 works for you then I'd stay there for a bit, at least until Adobe addresses the issue......BTW I just saw a pig fly past my window.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well said Jeffb, I will be even more bold and say "don't reply if you have nothing to contribute". These type of questions irritate me to no end. Stop treating everyone like they are idiots.

Unfortunately, this is the level of "support" we receive these days. Useless.

I am so tired of hearing Indian accent on the other line of the so called "support" of just about every company in North America. I am so fed up with stupid "support" questions like "are you sure you are connected to the electricity?"

I am royally fed up with companies of the likes of Adobe that treat us like morons. Fix the darn coding of this program and get it to the 21st century, will you?

I know for a fact that I am not renewing my Adobe next year. I am really tired of this garbage. On1 here I come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines