• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

State Button Link

Participant ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is is possible for a state button to have one link assigned to the button itself and a different link assigned to the text label for the button?  I could swear I managed to do this, but I've been known to hallucinate after working more than 10 hours straight.  Could I have screwed up the state button by moving it or copying it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Richard+G+Patterson  написал(а)

I guess my question is why it is even possible to do this.  The state button widget creates a three objects, each one of which will accept a different link and the larger one does not seem to even block the smaller ones.  Even the little dot on the default state button allows you to set a link for it which is different from the links for the text label or the state button itself. If the overall button is controlling the states it sho

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a small project to test whether I can in fact set a different link for the text label and the state button containing it.  Each of the navigation buttons (Page 1, Page 2 & Page 3) has a different link set for the button and the text.  There is no way the viewer can tell which he is selecting, but if you click on the text and then click sufficiently to the right of the text you will go different places (at least I did).  I should have tested which takes priority when the label box and the container have exactly the same dimensions, but...

Am I doing something wrong with these state buttons or is this intended behavior?

Dropbox - StateButtonTest.muse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a state button is one object for states (normal, rollover, active and mousedown) so setting them to have different links is asking the user browser to do something it does not expect and the results will not be reliable

i.e, yes you are doing something wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess my question is why it is even possible to do this.  The state button widget creates a three objects, each one of which will accept a different link and the larger one does not seem to even block the smaller ones.  Even the little dot on the default state button allows you to set a link for it which is different from the links for the text label or the state button itself. If the overall button is controlling the states it should override any link setting for elements within it.

This is not just an academic issue.  I somehow (late at night) managed to set up a set of state buttons inconsistently and had a difficult time flushing out where the issue was when they didn't behave the way I expected (and the way the hyperlink panel for the state button said they would behave).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you want a system that doesn't let you colour outside the lines then use wordpress

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Richard+G+Patterson  написал(а)

I guess my question is why it is even possible to do this.  The state button widget creates a three objects, each one of which will accept a different link and the larger one does not seem to even block the smaller ones.  Even the little dot on the default state button allows you to set a link for it which is different from the links for the text label or the state button itself. If the overall button is controlling the states it should override any link setting for elements within it.

This is because the state button is much more versatile tool than its name implies. The state button can be used as a container (div) for positioning a number of objects, each of which may have its own link. For example: the hero image 100% width and height (with addition of custom CSS), inside which a call to action and a button with a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.  Even though you are telling me essentially the same thing as the previous respondent, you are doing it in a way that helps me understand why this would be intended behavior rather than just a limit to what a widget can do.  As you say the name implies a much more limited function for a "state button."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines