Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2015 - Layers indicator missing

Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I've just opened up an Indesign file in the latest version of Adobe InDesign and for some reason, on my layers panel have lost the little square layer indicator on the right (see below)

This is really frustrating me, I'm sure it's just a setting somewhere, but I cant find it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Adam

layers-indicator-box.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A big virtual kiss on the cheek, thanks mate.

This was really frustrating me.

Kind regards

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your accurate answer, an annoying thing in my life in just gone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Your solution works, but I just had to do it 2 days ago, and it took me a long time to set up my Preferences again. This has never happened before. Isn't there some other way to turn this feature (selection indicator box)?!! Please help me!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you back up the prefs set and use the manual method of replacing them, it's pretty painless. Just copy the good set to a safe location, and copy it back when you need to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a huge bug.  Geezus.  Upgrading to 2015 has been a horrible loss of workflow.  Crashing, things not working.  Now this.   This is what we get for having a total monopoly in charge. They don't have to care if the product sucks, it's not like we could use something else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having this issue as well and totally agree with your comment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.  It's happened again.  I don't understand why people are happy that "all" they have to do is replace their preferences.  It's a HUGE loss of productivity!  It's a BUG they know about and do not fix.  Not cool Adobe.  Not cool at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same is happening to me. Application crashes, layers indicator missing... very frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a better solution to this problem?? It happen to me very ofter and it is very very annoying. I don't want to restore my application preferences every day, that's really not what I'm paying for... Adobe CC (specially CC 2015) is VERY disappointing... problems all the time with Indesign and Photoshop, panels don't open, really slow performance, etc...

Please Adobe, fix this huge BUG!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it’s happening all that often I would be looking into issues with your system.

Something could be causing the corruption of the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd agree with Bob. Having to restore you preferences frequently either means there is some system problem or third-party conflict that is corrupting the preferences.

Try creating a new system user on your computer, and test InDesign before launching any third-party software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, fix this! Trashing prefs is NEVER the right answer. There are a number of forum topics related to this bug. Move it up the list to be fixed SOON.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True is that this happens to me in to different computers, so I really think that this is a bug, and I really hope Abode has fix it, like Tony says.

I'm crossing my finger, today I had to trash my preferences again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you find you need to trash prefs on a regular basis you need to check your system configuration for software conflicts or out of date drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This kind of behaviour of professional software is unacceptable! [unacceptable language edited by moderator] I pay for this software every month and I depend on it for my lively hood. Expecting users to put up with this is atricious!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'am so very sik of this behavior!! It's a shame that this problem isn't solved after such a period... And every time the answers of restoring the preferences, Jezus, really really BAD!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have to restore your preferences that often, it's usually a symptom of something else outside of InDesign. You have a third-party utility which is interfering, or there is corruption in your system. You might try launching InDesign from a new user on your computer to test that out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No no no, I did a clean install of all, system and all the applications and that are not so much. It was working good, but now this very annoying trouble things go on and on. May I ask why so many users have this issue? I think it's a problem for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not denying that what you say is true.

The engineers say that there is not just one cause of preferences getting corrupted. They actually have to look at each case to see what's going on.

At this time, the engineers are spending a lot more time trying to fix  long term bugs and failures in the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two coworkers of mine had the same issue, trashing the ‘InDesign Saved Data’ file did the trick.

In the ‘Go’ command from the ‘Finder’ enter “~/library/caches”

The exact file path is as follows:

Macintosh HD > Users > Your user name > Library > Caches > Adobe InDesign > Version 11.0 > en_US > InDesign SavedData

That should work in my experiences...and is more permanent than trashing preferences, and with the added bonus of getting to keep your preferences.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Deleting the "InDesign SavedData" file worked for me.
Now I just have to wait and see when or if this bug shows again.

Edit: I am on Indesign CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works!

...and this issue happens ALL the time. I recently had to replace my Mac Pro tower so, everything's gone on CLEAN and this problem still persists.

---

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

InDesign 13.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have some third-party software that is somehow interfering with InDesign. That kind of thing is often hard to track down.

You shouldn't have to restore preferences that often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines