• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images won't open in updated version of PhotoShop (2017)

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my Creative Cloud & PhotoShop software yesterday on my PC, and now I am unable to open any image files (JPG, PNG, JPEG, PSD, etc.) with PhotoShop.

The program opens, as though it is going to work, but then the image never appears - it shows said image in the recently opened files in the taskbar dropdown, despite the fact that it never actually opened for editing.

We have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, getting rid of previous preferences, restarting the computer, and checking for other software updates, but nothing seems to work. Even our IT department is stumped.

Please let me know if you have any insight into this problem - I use PhotoShop for professional purposes, and it is crucial that I get it back up & running ASAP.

Thank you in advance for your assistance with this matter!

-Shelley

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shelley,

May I know which operating system are you using?

Are you getting any errors?

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil-

My operating system is Windows 7 64-bit, & I am not getting any error messages besides this one:PhotoShop screenshot - error message.jpg

(Currently I have 10.3 GB of virtual memory available, so the reason that this is showing up escapes me & our IT department.)

Thank you for your speedy response, & help with my dilemma!

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks again!

-Shelley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the information, Shelley.

You are getting this error message because of the Graphics Card that is installed on your computer, It might not have recommended amount of Video ram (i.e. 521mb).

What happens when you click OK on this error then choose File > Open to open any Image/Create a document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil-

You're quite welcome, thank you for your help!

Unfortunately, when I try to choose File > Open image, it does the same thing - i.e., no image shows up but there is no error message either.

-Shelley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your images saved on an external hard drive or are they stored on your computer?

You can try resetting the preferences of Photoshop by Going to Edit > Preferences > General and Choose Reset Preferences on Quit.

Then relaunch Photoshop.

Please let us know about the outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil-

They are not stored on an external hard drive (in other words, yes, the images are stored on my computer).

I tried the "Reset Preferences on Quit"/relaunch of PhotoShop you suggested, & unfortunately it did not do anything.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or if you have something for me to try next.

Thanks again for all of your help!

-Shelley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once the image is open but invisible, seeing you can use anything in the Window menu such as"tile" to make it visible. Not sure what options CC 2027 has but I'm speculating it is open but invisible because it is offscreen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using 2 or more screens by any chance because I think the Open dialog is opening on the other screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MVP-

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "seeing you can use anything in the Window menu such as 'tile' to make it visible."

Hi Sahil-

Yes, I am using 4 screens, however, I don't see the "Open dialog" on any other screen...I don't have anything else (i.e., any other windows) open except for PhotoShop when troubleshooting.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do/try to resolve this.

Thanks!

-Shelley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean to go to the Window menu. In some apps you can do Window > Tile or Window > Cascade. I don't have CC2017 to look at so see what you find.

HOWEVER, I'm not clear whether you are expecting an Open dialog or a document at this point. These need different troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MVP-

Thanks for the clarification; unfortunately, the Window menu does not provide a Tile or Window > Cascade option.

I am attaching a screenshot of the options that the Window menu does provide me with.

Hopefully this might be of some help.

Please let me know what you think when you can.

Thank you!

Untitled.png

-Shelley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They would be under Arrange I think.

Please let us know what point your are at. See...

I'm not clear whether you are expecting an Open dialog or a document at this point. These need different troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MVP-

If you look at the screenshot, "Arrange" is not an available option (thus, why it is in the light grey font as opposed to the regular solid color.

In respect to your second comment, my apologies, but I just don't know what you mean by that.

Please let me know if you can further clarify.

Thank you!

-Shelley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try relaunching Photoshop then check if Arrange is greyed out or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to explain my question. It's an important one, so please stick with me.

I assume you start Photoshop, then try to use Open from the File menu. (If you aren't doing that, try it).

So, normally two things will happen when you do that

1. An OPEN dialog appears where you choose a file.

2. The file opens on screen showing you the picture.

I would like to know whether, when you chose Open from the File menu, you see an OPEN dialog and choose a file? Or whether you do not see the OPEN dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil & MVP-

I have contacted Adobe via their phone support in an attempt to resolve this matter; however, it appears that currently there is no viable solution to the issue that I'm having.

Thank you for your attempts to help though, I greatly appreciate it.

-Shelley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have an answer to my question, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MVP-

It is no longer relevant. 

However, if you would like to know, that had nothing to do with the issue.

-Shelley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shelley, have you tried doing a clean install of Photoshop by removing every Adobe application including the creative cloud application and then reinstalling everything?

You can click on the link mentioned below to know more about clean installation: -

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil-

I have contacted Adobe via their phone support in an attempt to resolve this matter; however, it appears that currently there is no viable solution to the issue that I'm having.

Thank you for your attempts to help though, I greatly appreciate it.

-Shelley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your cooperation, Shelley, Could you please try to create a hidden admin account on windows 7 and check if you are able to open any file in Photoshop in the hidden admin account?

Please follow the link below to more about how to enable a hidden admin account: -

Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7, 8, or 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines