Exit

Updating images after merging data?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm using the data merge function in Indesign and I would like to know:

1. If the image objects that are missing pictures can be updated later when I obtain the images. Can someone please help me with this?

2. Can I change the alignment inside an image object? For example: If I want the image inside the object to be aligned to the bottom edge.

Thank you very much in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Hi

In the data merge options, you have some basic image positioning options. But if you want to align to bottom, you must use an object style.

First, uncheck "center image" in the data merge options (otherwise, this will override object style options), then create an object style. Go to fitting options and set reference point as desired. Apply object style to @picture frame.

See this GIF:

mergee.gif

About point 1, If you're talking about your original doc (not the merged document), I think missing images are a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an object style for the images and apply it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Is this answer to question 1 or 2? Also, can you elaborate with a bit more details, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will was answering question 2

In answer to #1 -- Images missing at the time of the merge will have to be individually placed, unless you re-run the merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That's what I thought!
Can you answer question 2 with detail, please? I kind of need the answer urgently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

In the data merge options, you have some basic image positioning options. But if you want to align to bottom, you must use an object style.

First, uncheck "center image" in the data merge options (otherwise, this will override object style options), then create an object style. Go to fitting options and set reference point as desired. Apply object style to @picture frame.

See this GIF:

mergee.gif

About point 1, If you're talking about your original doc (not the merged document), I think missing images are automatically updated, but I'm not quite sure (should check that). If not, updating data source should do the job...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!
I was talking about the merged document, a missing image was not updated when I added it. I currently don't have some images and I want to merge the data then have them updated later, update data source is not available once I merge the data.

Since it's not possible to have them updated automatically then I'll place the missing pictures manually.

Thank you everyone! You were very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I would suggest running the data merge process again. It should save you a lot of time...

Anyhow, I hope you solved your problems. If so, you can mark question as answered, if not, do not hesitate to come back here ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I have many missing pictures, I agree. running the data merge process again would save me time. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines