• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Started a new job today and am editing pdfs in Acrobat.

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having trouble editing some text that has what appears to be a layer over it. When I attempt to edit the date iwithin the text it moves the entire paragraph of text outside the guidelines and then all subsequent guidelines further in the document  are out of alignment. I have worked in InDesign previously and am stumped by this. Is my problem an added layer that is causing the problem? I have tried clicking on it and hitting delete, but that doesn't help.

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF files were never meant to be edited in such a way, so it's often very

difficult to do so.

You should ask for the original file used to create the PDF and then edit

it and generate a new PDF when done, or export the PDF file to another

format before editing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As Try76 suggested, exporting the PDF to a different format may be the best way to get the editing functionality you need. Acrobat itself can export PDF documents as MS Word files. The quality of the conversion is highly dependent on the quality of the PDF file, and sometimes you cannot get good results. In those cases, converting the PDF to high resolution TIFF images (e.g. 600dpi), and then importing these images back into a PDF file, and then OCR'ing the resulting PDF file will oftentimes give you a "better" PDF file and therefore a better Word document. You can also - with 3rd party software - export to InDesign. If you are familiar with ID, then that might be the better option. See here for such a solution (this is an InDesign plug-in): PDF2ID - PDF to InDesign, How to convert PDF to InDesign, Convert PDF to InDesign​ (I don't have much experience with this plug-in, I looked at the trial version they have and converted a handful of PDF files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines