Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Laptop Video Card question

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I've looked high and low for this answer, but I cannot seem to find a simple answer. Im shopping for laptop that will run the creative cloud. Especially premiere pro but I might dabble in photoshop/ lightroom too. I cannot seem to find a laptop that has a video card listed in the Adobe approved video cards.  Premiere Pro System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows However, I have found some with names in the same series with higher numbers. Will the Nvidia GeForce GTX 940MX work? I had my eye on this machine. Lenovo 2-in-1 15.6" 4K Ultra HD Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce G... and buying a usb 3.0 external hard drive. Any advice?

As always on the internet, I know I'm an idiot: troll away

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

adobe has stopped certifying hardware, they can't be bothered to spend resources on such things. so there are no new gtx 900 or 1000 series cards on that list, but they do work.

the gtx 1050 4gb or 1050 ti 4gb came out a short while ago and are around 3x more powerful than the gtx 940mx in that lenovo you link. the i7 in that lenovo is also a "U" series, so it only has dual core vs a normal i7 with 4 cores. an i7-6700hq or i7-7700hq cpu will have 4 cores and be around 2x faster. those i7 "U" ser

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your nVidia card has at least 1Gig of video ram it should be automatically recognized by Premiere Pro

-CUDA, OpenCL, Mercury Playback Engine, and Adobe Premiere Pro | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

DO BE AWARE that a computer with TWO video adapters may cause problems... some reading below

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1001579

-link to why http://forums.adobe.com/message/4685328

-Use BIOS http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1019004?tstart=0 to select a display adapter

-http://www.anandtech.com/show/4839/mobile-gpu-faceoff-amd-dynamic-switchable-graphics-vs-nvidia-opti...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe has stopped certifying hardware, they can't be bothered to spend resources on such things. so there are no new gtx 900 or 1000 series cards on that list, but they do work.

the gtx 1050 4gb or 1050 ti 4gb came out a short while ago and are around 3x more powerful than the gtx 940mx in that lenovo you link. the i7 in that lenovo is also a "U" series, so it only has dual core vs a normal i7 with 4 cores. an i7-6700hq or i7-7700hq cpu will have 4 cores and be around 2x faster. those i7 "U" series should really be named an i3, its the whole reason they came up with i3/i5/i7 names to mark performance levels for consumers, so its more like false advertising when they name it an i7. a laptop with a new gtx 1050 4gb and i7-7700hq should still be around $1-1.2k and will be good performance for a laptop.

if you plan on editing from an external usb 3 hdd, it will work with some media, like medium to lower bitrate. samsung also makes some usb ssd's, the T3, which are faster for medium to high bitrate footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy, That makes sense! So in short that computer will do it, but there are better options out there? I figured a higher number was newer and better on the video card models but you never can tell with these things. That sucks they can throw a U at the end and have a different product for the processor. Again; I don't spend every day researching computer specs. I think for my consumer/student needs moving things from the external to the SSD will be fine. Ill start googlin up those processors and video cards you mentioned.

Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in short that computer will do it, but there are better options out there?

there are some faster 4 core laptop cpu's, like the i7-7820HQ, but they get expensive quick and are only slightly faster. there are some laptop cpu's that allow for overclocking, like the i7-7820HK, but then it needs a laptop with good cooling to keep the temps under control. some custom laptop builders will also offer a desktop cpu inside a laptop, like the i7-7700, which is around the same speed as the top HQ cpu's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for responding. Looks like it's hard to go wrong with a new computer!

This seems like a good one. MSI 15.6" GL62M 7RE-406 Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (2.80 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 16 GB Mem...​ and you're right; about the same price.

That Lenvono seems like better aesthetics. (higher resolution screen, maybe better outer materials, and the whole reversible touch tablet thing)

Anyway this has turned into a personal problem at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines