• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog size is more than 4GB

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using an iMac and my catalog size is larger than 4GB! Therefore it will not back it up. I get the message to use a 3rd Party utility such as 7-zip or StuffItExpander to extract my catalog backup. BUT!!! It Adobe doesn't tell me how to solve the problem and more importantly HOW TO DO IT!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

There is a bug in Lr- Mac Users on Backing Up: “Your Catalog Size Is Larger than 4 GB” | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Training, Tutorials and Tips

This link explains it.

It is unlikely your catalog is >4Gb anyway.  (Previews probably- but not the problem)

You would only need an 'expander' program IF you have to recover from a backup (such as after a crash or corrupt catalog), AND the catalog is >4Gb, AND your OS will not extract from a zip file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What are you saying here ... are you trying to recover a catalog from a backup? Or are you trying to backup a catalog from Lightroom?

What version of Lightroom are you using?

If you need 7-zip or StuffitExpander just download from the internet.

Look at this explanation from Adobe: Extracting compressed Lightroom catalog backups larger than 4 GB on Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug in Lr- Mac Users on Backing Up: “Your Catalog Size Is Larger than 4 GB” | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Training, ...

This link explains it.

It is unlikely your catalog is >4Gb anyway.  (Previews probably- but not the problem)

You would only need an 'expander' program IF you have to recover from a backup (such as after a crash or corrupt catalog), AND the catalog is >4Gb, AND your OS will not extract from a zip file.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks that answers my question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BKKDon,

What I'm asking is "Does Lightroom backup my catalog as a zip file and if I

need to recover it I have to use 7-zip?"

I am using Lightroom CC (newest download)

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes the backups are compressed and you have to extract the .lrcat file from the Zip file if you are on Windows, for the Mac you will need to use StuffIt Expander Mac ... only because the default macOS unzip utility is unable to unzip files larger than 4 GB.

But it is also highly unlikely that your catalog will be more than 4GB, because on windows it is about 40-45,000 images per 1GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi ,

Many thanks for the excellent assistance you have given me. Your

explanation answers fully what I need to know.

Rgds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines