• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom catalog has totally disappeared

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to open Lightroom and my Catalog has totally disappeared.  Tried searching for the lrcat extenstion and cannot find it anywhere.  Have thousands of photos cataloged and really need to find the catalog.  Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

I managed to find it and unzip and restore.  But have no idea why it disappeared.  I am funning an HP, Windows 10, latest verstion of LR.  Searched for the name of the catalog because lrcat does not work it is lrdat or something like that.  But unzipped it and reopened windows and now optimizing the catalog.  Then going to exit lightroom and make sure it opens with my default catalog.  Thanks for your fast response.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of computer?

The exact version number of the OS.

The exact version of LR you are using.

Did you store the catalog file on an external drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to find it and unzip and restore.  But have no idea why it disappeared.  I am funning an HP, Windows 10, latest verstion of LR.  Searched for the name of the catalog because lrcat does not work it is lrdat or something like that.  But unzipped it and reopened windows and now optimizing the catalog.  Then going to exit lightroom and make sure it opens with my default catalog.  Thanks for your fast response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything seems to be working right now.  Guess it is just one of those computer things.  LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have found one of the LR Automatically created backup catalog files. LR does Auto backups once a week by default.

As to why your original catalog files went missing I don't know. The Catalog file extension is .lrcat. The .lrdata entry is a Folder that holds the Previews of your images. It has the same name as the catalog file with Previews included and then the DOT (.) and LRDATA extension (But it is a Folder).

You should copy that expanded catalog file to the original folder the catalog file was in. That is usually C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Pictures and then could be in another subfolder called Lightroom then Lightroom Catalog (Or something like that). Unless you moved it from the Default location.

There are 2 or 3 reasons the catalog file may have vanished.

1) The drive in your system is faulty.

2) You accidentally deleted it when doing some drive cleaning (and or simply by Accident).

3) Some one else that uses that computer deleted it.

I personally move the LR Catalog file out of the My Documents (Documents) folder to some other drive in my system (My LR 6/CC catalog is on my D drive in a folder called Lightroom 6 Catalog and is named Lightroom 6 Catalog. My LR 5 catalog is also on the D drive and called Lightroom 5 Catalog and in a folder called Lightroom 5 Catalog.

The backups for both of the catalogs is on my E drive, in you guests it, in folders called Lightroom 6 or 5 Catalog Backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines