• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Preview unavailable" for NEF files in Lightroom 6

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi my computer - Acer Aspire with Windows 10 has stopped reading my NEF files. A short while ago there was no issue - I transferred the NEF files and imported them without issue. Suddenly that changed. Now, for all my NEF files I get a "Preview unavailable" message. I have set the camera to shoot RAW and JPEG and Lightroom only recognises and imports the JPEGS. I have seen in these forums similar queries have not been answered. Is this something to do with an automatic Windows 10 update? Right now my Lightroom is pretty much useless. Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Model of Nikon camera and the Exact version of LR. Help > About Adobe PS Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a Nikon D610 and Lightroom 6.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update LR to 6.8 from here.

Keeping Lightroom Up-to-Date

Or here.

Install Photoshop Lightroom

You want the 6.8/CC2015.8 UPDATE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could have to do with Auto Updates of Windows. Could of changed the permissions on the folder you are trying to use as the Destination. But I doubt it since JPGs are getting imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Shoot Me. I have seen reference to change in permissions in other discussions about this problem. But the photos are being transferred into a folder I have previously created and which has received files previously without issue. Also this is my computer - I am the administrator. How can a folder created by my me suddenly deny permission? Something has changed on my computer and even though the jpegs get through perhaps NEF files are being prejudiced in some way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you transfer the images from the card to the hard drive?

Old versions of Nikon Transfer often corrupt NEF files from new camera models.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ManiacJoe. I've transferred them using a new version of Nikon Transfer. Could the converse of what you suggest happen - that the newer version of Nikon Transfer corrupt the files of older cameras?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fish5001  wrote

ManiacJoe. I've transferred them using a new version of Nikon Transfer. Could the converse of what you suggest happen - that the newer version of Nikon Transfer corrupt the files of older cameras?

Then you are SOL. Even with the newest version of that Nikon software it stops LR from reading them correctly.

If you plan on using LR STOP using that Nikon software to transfer your images from camera to computer and START using the LR import feature/system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have also dragged photos straight off the card and have ended up with the same problem. Besides I have used NT for years without a problem - with this version of LR and previous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines