• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Minimum Execution units for enabling Mercury Engine.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, every time i want to start a thread here i give up even before trying but i so hope someone will have an answer to my question since i'm sure even Adobe doesn't have one.

How many execution units on your integrated gpu are necessary to allow mercury engine to work?

I tried with my integrated from the intel 6600k, which has 24EU and it worked flawlessly.

Then i tried with my notebook with just 12EU (Atom Z8300) but Premiere told me "not enough executions units available" and it won't allow me to use it. Naturally editing in "software only" is impossible, especially on low power machines.

Do you have experience with this matter? Some Intel processors have 18EU. Will them be enough? I'm not expecting to fly, just being able to use it.

thanks!!

ps. please don't link this page because it's total crap Premiere Pro System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows​

[Moderator note: moved to best forum]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fascinating ... several years of answering posts here, this is the first time I've seen someone ask about execution units in an integrated graphics processor. Will be interesting to see what answer may come.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well it's quite important to know and i expected adobe to write it down in the FAQ section since the software says "not enough units", it knows something about "what is not enough". I'm not spending 1000$ on a mobile machine if a 600$ one can make me edit something on the go even at a basic level, just enabling the mercury engine. The question seems very legit to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why aren't Execution Units discussed? An "Integrated graphics" unit is built to be used basically as part of (and reliant upon) the CPU ... it's not a completely different bit of hardware. To get accelerated graphics processing, you have to get away from the CPU and its resources.

So most people are figuring out which dedicated graphics ... GPUs ... are best for their rig. PrPro is built to run primarily with CUDA cores ... and lacking that, OpenCL I believe.

I went and checked about this some ... turns out my little i5 laptop has an Intel HD3000, with 6 execution units. And Mercury Playback is grayed out on this machine. In software mode, It barely runs HD ... 1280x720. 1080p is pretty much the limit, and then ... forget much in the way of effects.

It might be possible to get Mercury Acceleration on an integrated graphics ... but I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is why the HD Graphics 3000 does not support MPE GPU acceleration:

Not only does it not have a sufficient number of execution units, but the Sandy Bridge IGPs lack hardware support for even OpenCL, let alone CUDA, at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

of course sandy bridge couldn't do it, but now we're far ahead. A skylake integrated GT2 with 24 EU can run the MPE in OpenCL mode with no problems at all aswell as the core M like the skylake M3-6y30.

Integrated graphic for the Atom i tried (Z8300) come from the architecture used with Broadwell (HD5300) but with just 12EU and PP told me "not enough units" as error.

So for now we know for sure that 24 is ok but 12 is not. The new Apollo Lake CPUs feature 18EU (only the N4200) therefore i need to know if MPE can work with that.

I guess only an apollo lake user could tell me this at this point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines