• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I want to edit AVI files in AFTER Effects CC

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it can be done .. i did a simple codec download of something in work and was able to play and edit AVI files IN AFTER EFFECTS CC after a quick restart of the PROGRAM.

I have a very high spec machine in work and at home both running windows 10 (so none of that 'i need to know what you're working with to answer your q' bull)

I know there's a simple codec to quickly download / plug and play.

Im under pressure to get a vid done for the morning and cant find it.

Any idea or help?

I'm NOT looking to export.
I'm NOT looking to convert, download a converter, download ANYTHING other than a simple .exe file that contains the magic codec to make.this.work.
I need to edit and play AVI in after effects CC - that's all. This shouldn't be such an FFF problem - its 2017 - i've been relentlessly searching for 1 hour and 22 mins now. Please. before i lose it. just put me out of my misery!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "magic CoDec". AVI is just a container format like MOV and can contain an endless number of audio and video CoDecs in infinite combinations and without knowing anything about your source files or what specific issues you actually have, nobody can tell you anything, as much as it may upset and enrage you.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more point. You say you want to "edit"  but AE is not an editing app, it is a motion graphics and visual effects app designed to create shots.

We just need more information to point you in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick is also right. AE is NOT for editing. You want to cut shots together (edit) in Premiere. You want to add visual effects and do motion graphics and advanced compositing in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium is right. There are an endless number of codecs that could be contained in an AVI file. If you inspect it on the machine where it worked, you can see what codec it is. That will really narrow down your search. If you don't have access to the machine where it worked, you can also try opening your video in VLC player (or any of a number of other third-party players) and it might give you information about what codec is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects CC only supports to edit the following AVI files:

- DV files in AVI container

- Windows AVI files with QuickTime player installed on Mac OS

- 10-bpc uncompressed YUV AVI files created in Adobe Premiere Pro into 16-bpc RGB After Effects projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sunderlandgreen201503  wrote

After Effects CC only supports to edit the following AVI files:

- DV files in AVI container

- Windows AVI files with QuickTime player installed on Mac OS

- 10-bpc uncompressed YUV AVI files created in Adobe Premiere Pro into 16-bpc RGB After Effects projects.

That's not true. That page is incorrect.

AE can import a LOT of different codecs in the AVI container. Even if you don't install codecs on your machine other than what come natively with your machine and Adobe software, AE can still read a bunch of different codecs in the AVI container including Cineform.

See this official Adobe page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines