• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tiff files resaved and files 10x bigger

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bunch of ~200k tiff files. I open them in Photoshop, crop them so they are about 20% of the original size, do a save, and the resulting file is about 2Mb - nothing done to the file except cropping. How can they grow so much?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you save a Tiff you have a choices of using data compression or not and if you want the file compressed which compression method should be used.  What options did you use?

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None - I just did file>save. No options came up.

So I just opened a file and did save as tiff. With either compression it still comes out to be twice as big doing nothing to the file except saving it in the exact same format.

When I cropped the pic so that it is about 20% of the original and save using compression, it is about the same size as the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I'd always work and save as native PSD files and save copies as JPGs for getting them printed, distributing to others and supplying for web use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, but all I needed to do was crop and save. I didn't need to do anything else. 3 steps (delineate the area, pick fence, pick save). A lot of files, so the simpler the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then what happened is you open a compressed Tif files cropped the image ans then saved an uncompressed tif file.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

May be your problem in cropping. sssqq.png

If you put only number it will be crop in cm. So, you have to put number with px. Example 1169pxsee.png

You can try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please also follow the instruction.

yuy.png

To save

ssadff.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said previously, if I just open the file and do a "save as" (no cropping) and save compressed (exactly like you show) it still DOUBLES the size and takes way, way longer to do each file then just going to file>save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the previous file was saved with high compression then opened and resaved without compression then there will be a large increase in the resaved file size.

For an extreme example :

I just saved a TIFF using jpeg compression minimum quality (yes you can use jpeg lossy compression inside an 8 bit TIFF). The file was a TIFF file - sized 311kB.

I opened the file then immediately used "Save As" - this time with no compression. The file size was 30MB - an increase of 96 times.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I should have added to the above - I am not recommending compression of TIFFs or PSDs. They may take up less space but the longer opening times negate that in these days of large disk drives.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines