• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you use different aspect ratio to design for iPad?

Participant ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started designing a photo book for print, but have since decided to make a book for the iPad. I'm really bummed that the ratio size for a spread  is 1024 x 768. This makes it really hard to show two horizontal images side by side in a spread. I came across a book by Taylor Harris called “Beautiful Similarities" (iBooks. https://itun.es/us/IYIpK.l) that looks like he uses two horizontal layouts in a spread. Is that just a matter of designing a book how you want it and the iPad scales it down appropriately?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which software are you using?

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS6, But I also have element to ID CC 2014. I tried iBooks Author, but that was kinda of a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should use InDesign CC2015 or CC2017 for creating your FXL ePub (or maybe PDF or Adobe Publish Online, if you're not wanting to sell the book).

The aspect ratio of an iPad retina is 4:3 and the screen size resolution is 2048 x 1536px.

Personally I think one page would be better (rather than facing pages) for a book of photographs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, I would agree with you about one page per image, but I have image pairs that play off each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could consider to:

- create Horizontal and Vertical layouts.

- create your book as a website with a vertical marker in the middle of the screen to swipe left/right to reveal more of one image or the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines