Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

*Weird* assistance needed - Wrapping an image/layer around an object

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I have an interesting thing I am trying to do. (Well at least interesting to me). I have tried almost everything. If I carry on trying, I might land up cracking my skull while I bang my head against my desk.

So, I have an image. A dress (cropped):

Layer 1backcrop.png

Which has been placed on a mannequin with no "3d" shape. (As in it has no bum shape or leg shape. In fact, the back of the mannequin is hollow.  I have created a layer of the dress without the mannequin. But now I need to give it shape. For example: a bum.

I also need to take the dress and place it onto a new mannequin:

Back.jpg

So to get to the point... I either need to try and "wrap" the image onto the mannequin. Or by using the liquify tool, I can shape it around the mannequin. (This has been done with some success).

But;

my biggest problem is making the shape of a bum underneath the dress...

If I can make that shape, I will be able to place it onto the other mannequin without any issues.

ANY POINTERS will be great!! (I have photoshop CC 2015 - I can buy PS 2017 if I really have to... but it's not my preference(that's for another topic))

ANY SUGGESTIONS will be welcome. I have about 40 dresses shot in the same manner so I really need to find a solution!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Well.... You will need multiple layers and a few copies of the dress and mannequin in my mind.

However, I should point out that I can't tell if the image of the dress you are using is the front or back

I would start by getting a duplicate layer of the dress and then use a layer mask to hide the areas of the dress where the Mannequin isn't... Then change the mode to overlay or screen > this will allow you to get an idea of where to position the dress etc.

With regards to the bum - if 2D output then

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well.... You will need multiple layers and a few copies of the dress and mannequin in my mind.

However, I should point out that I can't tell if the image of the dress you are using is the front or back

I would start by getting a duplicate layer of the dress and then use a layer mask to hide the areas of the dress where the Mannequin isn't... Then change the mode to overlay or screen > this will allow you to get an idea of where to position the dress etc.

With regards to the bum - if 2D output then some simple highlights and shadows overlayed on an alpha transparent layer and some careful use of liquify etc may help.

Regardless, this won't be an easy task and would have suggested in future you spend the time taking the photos on a mannequin and then enhancing this as it is easier in the long run and will likely give a more accurate representation.

But of course, you can only do that if the option is/was available to you.

Sorry to be a pain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe any person who constructively comments on a forum can ever be a pain. More like always a help!!

So thank you for your response.

It is in fact the back of the dress. here is an idea of how i got the front to look. BUT... that mannequin already had bust shape. mf.jpg

WRT :

if 2D output then some simple highlights and shadows overlayed on an alpha transparent layer and some careful use of liquify etc may help.

I figured that this was going to be my primary method. So maybe with a little more time I might get it correct. There is also a crinkly bit over the bum area which is messing with adjustments.

With regards to this:

Regardless, this won't be an easy task and would have suggested in future you spend the time taking the photos on a mannequin and then enhancing this as it is easier in the long run and will likely give a more accurate representation.

But of course, you can only do that if the option is/was available to you.

I totally 100% agree with you! Sadly this dress would not fit onto a standard size mannequin!

Thanks for the feedback.

i will post my end result once I have come right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a second thought on the bum shape... Not sure if it would work on just one pass but it was an Idea that came into my head...

Essentially...

With the mannequin layer selected only I was thinking you could create a basic frequency separation (or bump map) of the mannequin's bum effectively and then simply highlight and shadow or overlay duplicate layers to make the butt effect more quickly...

I know this video tutorial is more about skin retouching but the basic premise remains the same and I think his videos are fairly self-explanatory...The Amazing Power of Frequency Separation Retouching in Photoshop - YouTube

Anyway, I remembered using similar techniques as above for different things after watching his video a year or so ago and the result was pretty good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll definitely try this out! Thanks for more info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might not be understanding the original post.

But, if you're not going to use a 3D model of both the figure and the dress, are you just doing this in 2D?

If so, the only ways I can recommend would be either using Puppet Warp on the silhouette of the dress to contour it's shape.

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 3.03.30 PM.png

Then you could use a displacement map, referencing the mannequin's form to shift the fabrics to shape around the shadows of the mannequin for form.

Then, use a grayscale version of the mannequin form to add some details to the contours by using blend modes like overlay, or multiple and some reduce opacities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response!This is what I was thinking about. (Everything I know about photoshop is self-taught). I have not had a chance to dabble with 3D yet. But my idea was to make this 3d. I do have multiple images of the dress as well as multiple images of the mannequin. I just have no idea where I would start in 3D.

This is what I was thinking about. (Everything I know about photoshop is self-taught). I have not had a chance to dabble with 3D yet. But my idea was to make/edit this in 3D. I do have multiple images of the dress as well as multiple images of the mannequin. I just have no idea where I would start in 3D.

1st time I have heard of puppet warp and I will be sure to give this a go.

So, basically at this point in time, I am sticking with my 2D skills but I WILL DO IT IN 3D if that is what is required to get the best result. (plus I add more knowledge to my PS skills).

I have tried a displacement map. But I think I need to work more on the map and play with those ideas too. A displacement map, (to me it seems). Would be more of a long-term solution rather than spending hours on images brushing etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, glad I could help.

Puppet Warp is a tricky thing, but once you get the hang of it, it's very helpful. You can set, in the options bar to have More or Fewer points as a density for the grid. That's extremely helpful for how "fluid" you want the silhouette to be moved.

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 10.00.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 10.01.37 AM.png

Once you get your silhouette really close, and you need to just nudge a few parts on a dress. It's worth looking at Liquify to do some finite tweaking. I don't like liquify for heavy edits because it blends pixels together much of the time. But if you get used to it, you can get some finite edits made that look great.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Guys

Thank you both for your comments. I took them to heart and this is what I came out with:

Blue white ombre & white lace soft mermaid matric dance dress - Passion4Fashion - Marisela Veludo.jpg

I used an already formed bum from another mannequin. Used several layers and blend modes. Plus a mix brush, some dodging and burning. Topaz remask and some blend if for the lace. I did do some puppet warp and landed up using the liquify tool more.

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction!

Here is another example of another one I did:

http://www.passion4fashion.co.za/uploads/1/5/7/7/15770896/2burgundy-soft-mermaid-matric-dance-dress-...

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines