• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting from InDesign for print pdf, I have an image and drop shadow disappearing

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

This is an issue that seems to be popping up more now that I'm creating print instead of web graphics. This has happened twice now where the image I used was missing, but now I have a drop shadow missing from the text as well. The first time, the printer said the graphic wasn't the right resolution. This time, there's nothing about the image that should be causing issues. It's a 3.5"x3.5" 300 dpi jpeg linked. It seems to only happen when I export for PDF/x-1a:2001. If I use press quality, everything is as it should be. Also, this is a replica of another hanger I created for a client (they share material), and that hanger had no issues. The only difference between the two in the information and the logo.

What I've tried so far with InDesign: digging through my preferences, embedding the link, trying a different computer (I work with a Windows at my job and a Mac at home, both computers are exporting the same file look), but nothing seems to work. We sent the packaged files to the printer, but I would like to know what is wrong with my software that I have this same trouble with the same project on two different systems when this has never been an issue before (and isn't an issue with the last project).

Images below show the difference between the two.

MECA-MailinRebate-5x4-0117-noBLEEDS-01.png MECA-MailinRebate-5x4-0117-test.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using X/1-a? It’s an outdated, archaic format. Modern workflows use X/4.

If you’re dealing with a Luddite printer, you’ll need to design accordingly. I never use transparency when creating ads for X/1-a magazines.

All that out of the way, I suspect if you turn on overprint preview in Acrobat the white will go away. I’m guessing that’s a spot color you’ve got the shadow on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's always been what the printers required. I'm checking with them now to see if this is just an assumption I've made from working with printers over the years, or if they really do require it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are always risks with using transparency even when it's kept live.

See #19. I haven't checked if this has been fixed in CC2017

Re: Is there a problem with Indesign effects exporting to PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you viewing in AcrobatPro? Can you share the InDesign file package?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines