• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Just opened Lightroom 6 and everything has gone!

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I've just opened Lightroom 6 and it's all blank. I cannot see any of my files, photographs, catalogues you name it. I don't use the backup function on Lightroom as my drives are already quite full. Obviously I still have the orginal files but none of my edited work can be seen either. Can somebody please tell me what is going on and why?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Use your operating system's search feature to search for all files whose name ends with LRCAT and then double-click on each one until you find the catalog of interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you got more than one catalog?

Try File >> Open Recent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use the backup function on Lightroom as my drives are already quite full.

You are living dangerously. You also need to start making regular and automated backups of your photos AND your Lightroom catalog file. If your drives are nearly full, then you need to buy more drive space. No excuses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how many catalogues I have? I usually import into lightroom which creates folders with dates the photographs were taken on. However, I do backup in general on external and internal drives. Which means I still have the originals but I can't find the digital negatives anywhere. Also I don't think my copy of Lightroom upgraded properly. As I have both Lightroom 5.7 64-bit and 6 working as separate programs. The older version has some have my work until I started using 6!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how many catalogues I have?

It doesn't matter, as 99jon said, try File->Open Recent.

I usually import into lightroom which creates folders with dates the photographs were taken on. However, I do backup in general on external and internal drives. Which means I still have the originals but I can't find the digital negatives anywhere.

I don't understand this. In your first message you say you don't backup, now you say you do backup? The originals of your photos are your "digital negatives".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File->Open Recent doesnt work all it says is Lightroom Catalog .Ircat and I've clicked on this command many times now. The only files I can find are the RAF ones and not dng. When I opened the software this morning it looked like I was using it for the first time. Lots of info boxes came up describing each feature. At the top it also says Adobe Lightroom 6 Get started with Lightroom mobile. None of my information appears anywhere. Sorry I should have explained this, when I backup I like to do it myself manually without Lightroom. I keep the original RAF Raw files from my Fujifilm cameras. This is so I can use them in future editing software which doesn't impact on the image quality or alter them due to lack of support from Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use your operating system's search feature to search for all files whose name ends with LRCAT and then double-click on each one until you find the catalog of interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you dj_paige you have been really helpful and my saviour. How do I avoid this situation in future without altering the raf files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This doesn't have anything to do with the RAF files.

Sometimes people accidentally create new (empty) catalog files, or Lightroom loses track of the location of the catalog file, I'm not sure you can prevent these things from happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines