• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making a PDF Form Fillable

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created the same form for several years, exporting from indesign as a pdf then in acrobat pro, making fillable. As adobe has updated, the process now is to click prepare form. This is a two page form and ONLY the first page becomes fillable. I have separated the pages into two separate pages and for the page that I am having issues, it says "No new form field annotations were detected." Well this is the same file I have used for several years, it is created with the same lines and text as the first page so I am extremely aggravated that I can't get this done for my client. I made the form fillable in indesign using the "interactive" buttons in indesign and that was great - until my client printed it out and you could see the shaded boxes that I had placed to be fillable....help!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

When I run the auto form detection on your PDF, I have the same results as you, form fields are added to first page only. The logos at the bottom of page 2 are the culprit. If those logos are removed, Acrobat can complete form fields on both pages.

The workaround would be to export PDF with no logos, open Acrobat, create form fields in Acrobat automatically, save PDF. Then export page 2 with logos, save as different name, in Acrobat replace page 2. This will replace art, but leave form fields int

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a question here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

General help, yes. I am unable to make a fillable pdf as I have before. I have been on the phone with adobe two different times for over an hour and they haven't been able to help so thought someone here on this forum would know what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to spell out exactly what the problem is. Screenshots would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - let me do that and shoot another message - I appreciate you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like these form fields are highlighted in Acrobat/Reader. The user in Acrobat/Reader can toggle the "Highlight Existing Fields" on or off for the field to appear shaded or not shaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to the points made above...

Have you tried using the Identify Form Fields feature in Adobe Acrobat?

test7.PNG

If this doesn't bring the form fields back on the second page then you need to inspect the InDesign Document...

If SO > It would help if you can share the InDesign document with us so that we can inspect it > using something like Dropbox > we may be able to further analyse this and work out what is not working and why.

https://www.dropbox.com/ - It's free to have a basic account.

However, there are just as many other free file sharing sites as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the form fields were added AS FORM FIELDS not boxes in InDesign something is wrong with the export I expect. Check your settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. Make sure the export is for Interactive PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last Year File.jpgThis Year File.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always exported as print ready pdf and made fillable in adobe acrobat...when I tried to do the interactive in indesign (first time I was learning with youtube videos) that is when my customer printed it off and where you can see the blue boxes on the pdf screen, they were there when he printed it off...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Indesign document does not contain any fillable forms, and the PDF does not either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. I didn't make anything in indesign...but BEFORE I just made it in adobe PRO....screenshot from 2016. NOW they are telling me to make it in indesign so I do...creating all the fields...customer loved it BUT when he prints it, it shows all the gray boxes...two different issues going on.

1. Export PDF out of indesign (print) - then in adobe pro, prepare form....this let's the FIRST page go fillable but not the second. That is my issue with this - why won't the second page go fillable such as the last year's example DID. Nothing has changed in how I create it in indesign.

2. Interactive in indesign and add my OWN fillable places. Great....export interactive pdf and send to customer. Loves it as an online fillable. He prints it off and the spaces that I made fillable in indesign print off gray.

Thank you for helping - and maybe I'm not explaining it correctly...IMG_7497 (1).JPGIMG_7498.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I run the auto form detection on your PDF, I have the same results as you, form fields are added to first page only. The logos at the bottom of page 2 are the culprit. If those logos are removed, Acrobat can complete form fields on both pages.

The workaround would be to export PDF with no logos, open Acrobat, create form fields in Acrobat automatically, save PDF. Then export page 2 with logos, save as different name, in Acrobat replace page 2. This will replace art, but leave form fields intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like what I am going to need to do! Thank you for your time and input on this!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Through the process of testing, I have already done this and if you would like, I can send you PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure!! That is really cool - thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So then it leaves the question of when I create a form in indesign and use the form fields provided there under interactive - how does my customer print out the form without the graying in the boxes showing up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your client is using Acrobat Pro DC, there is really nothing you can do, other than make these suggestions.

The form fields in DC are always highlighted. The client could either go into their application preference and change highlight default to white, or view from an older version to turn off the shaded area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As for printing, when I print the PDF from various Acrobat/Readers versions, the form fields do not show. Perhaps your client's printing settings are causing the shaded areas on print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen capture shows the PDF viewed from Acrobat Pro DC, and the "Highlight Existing Field" button has been removed from this version. The form fields will always be highlighted. To turn the shaded area off, you would have to go into your application preference and change highlight to white, or view from an older version to turn off the shaded area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My responses have been in regards to highlighted form fields. If your issue is in regards to creating forms in Acrobat Pro DC, this process has changed a bit and I can assist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I mean I create the form in indesign but in the past haven't created the form fields until I export to pdf then create there under prepare form. This is the first year I have not been able to get the second sheet to grab the same text fields as the first page and it is frustrating me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines