• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

So a pixel can be selected to more or less... degrees?

Participant ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

so here is one thing I'm trying to wrap my head around - the "degree" to which a pixel can be selected. I suppose unless a selection tool employs a hard edge, every pixel along the edge is selected to a progressively lower degree that could be expressed as a percentile, is this correct?

Bonus question: When I have a certain "soft" selection and want to convert it into a "hard" selection (meaning, all pixels that are currently selected to more than 0 percent should become selected to 100 percent), how would I manage to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017
every pixel along the edge is selected to a progressively lower degree that could be expressed as a percentile, is this correct?

0-255 may make more sense, but a percentage is still a valid way of expressing it.

all pixels that are currently selected to more than 0 percent should become selected to 100 percent

You can switch to Quick Mask Mode (Q) and apply Image > Adjustments > Threshold.

Edit: And then exit the Quick Mask Mode to get the amended Selection as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

every pixel along the edge is selected to a progressively lower degree that could be expressed as a percentile, is this correct?

0-255 may make more sense, but a percentage is still a valid way of expressing it.

all pixels that are currently selected to more than 0 percent should become selected to 100 percent

You can switch to Quick Mask Mode (Q) and apply Image > Adjustments > Threshold.

Edit: And then exit the Quick Mask Mode to get the amended Selection as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot, that helped tremendously with the job I was currently doing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines