• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't check multiple checkboxes in ID form

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a ID form with 6 checkboxes. Problem is, when I export an interactive pdf, the checkboxes act like radio buttons ie, I can't check more than one box. I did the obvious and made sure each box has a unique name - they do - but I still have an issue. The form also has radio buttons, and those act as expected.

I thought a simple workaround would be to open the pdf in Acrobat DC and just add the checkboxes there. Here's the weird thing, it happens in that program too. Even with different names, the boxes act like radio buttons in Acrobat.

Anyone have a clue what's going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it is happening with Acrobat made check boxes too I suppose the problem is withing Acrobat, not InDesign. Did you try to reset preferences in Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good suggestion, but no luck. The problem is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

what is your exact version of InDesign you are seeing this? On what OS?

There are some bugs with formfields that were introduced with InDesign CC 2015.4.

If you are seeing this with CC 2017 you could install CC 2015.3—not CC 2015.4—side by side with CC 2017 and work from CC 2015.3.

If you are using InDesign CC 2015.4 you could uninstall CC 2015 and re-install CC 2015.0 to CC 2015.3 and work from that.

Read the following thread here in this forum:

Check boxes disappear on export to interactive PDF. Is this happening to anyone else?

Here my answer in the same thread with installer links for CC 2015.0 and CC 2015.3:

Re: Check boxes disappear on export to interactive PDF. Is this happening to anyone else?

Some other links to threads that discuss the issues as well:

Has the ability to have multiple fields with the same name been removed?

Linking Checkboxes to "mark" at the same time

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will you share a couple of screen shots? We may as well start in InDesign to see if we can fix it there, and if not, we can move on to Acrobat.

Show the frame selected and the Buttons & Forms panel open for two (or three) of the misbehaving checkboxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check boxex can't use the same name - please check it. If you copied tchem it's easy to make mistake

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pawel,

they can use the same base name.

But with CC 2015.4 and CC 2017 there is a problem. Read on here for details:

Re: Check boxes disappear on export to interactive PDF. Is this happening to anyone else?

With CC 2015.3 and before it is working as expected.

Example:

Base name Check with a group of e.g. 4 check boxes should result after PDF Export to:

Check#0

Check#1

Check#2

Check#3

But with CC 2015.4 and CC 2017 the result is this:

Check1

Check2

Check3

Check4

A bug that I reported, is acknowledged and still not resolved.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to include the software versions. ID CC 2017 and Acrobat DC. Everything is up to date as of 2/20/17. I've also tried in CC 2015.0 & 2015.4.

Here are a couple screen shots. You can see the check boxes have different names but if there's anything I'm missing, please let me know. Kind of hard to tell in the Acrobat image, but both boxes should be checked on the right.

For what it's worth, the problem is the same in Acrobat Pro and Reader. InDesign.jpg

InDesignPanel.jpg

SidebySide.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kore_Group,

please download this sample that I made with InDesign CC v9.3.0 on Mac OSX 10.10.5.

CheckBoxes-SameBaseName-CC-v9.3.0.zip

CheckBoxes-SameBaseName-CC-v9.3.0-INTERACTIVE.idml

CheckBoxes-SameBaseName-CC-v9.3.0-INTERACTIVE.pdf

Dropbox - CheckBoxes-SameBaseName-CC-v9.3.0.zip

Four check boxes with the same base name working as intended.

I cannot test with CC 2015.0, still have CC 2015.4 and CC 2017 installed…

If CC 2015.0 is not working, try with CC 2014.2 or CC v9.3.0.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Added:

The trick is to use the same name for the check boxes with InDesign that should function as a group.

In my sample the same name is simply Check. I duplicated the left most checkbox three times. Don't think it's necessary to group the four in inDesign, however I did.

And that should work with:

CC v9.3.0, CC 2014.2, CC 2015.0, CC 2015.1, CC 2015.2 and CC 2015.3.

Not with CC 2015.4 and CC 2017.0

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Added:

The trick is to use the same name for the check boxes with InDesign that should function as a group.

Now I'm confused, Uwe. The should have different names to be allowed to turn on/off independently.

Plus I'm checking one of my forms from InDesign, which works as intended. It looks just like your settings, Kore_Group. I did not group the frames. I am InDesign CC 2017 and Adobe Acrobat DC.

InDesign:

InDesign CCss_026.png

InDesign CCss_025.png

Acrobat in Forms Editing Mode:

Acrobat Pross_002.png

Acrobat Pross_003.png

Acrobat in Preview Mode:

Acrobat Pross_004.png

Acrobat Pross_005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe,

There may be a language problem here.

Check Boxes must have different names in order for multiple ones to be checked.

Radio Buttons must have the same name in InDesign which becomes the same "GROUP NAME" in Acrobat. Then there is a separate name for "Choice 1" "Choice 2" etc within each group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Sandee+Cohen  wrote

Uwe,

There may be a language problem here.

Check Boxes must have different names in order for multiple ones to be checked.

Radio Buttons must have the same name in InDesign which becomes the same "GROUP NAME" in Acrobat. Then there is a separate name for "Choice 1" "Choice 2" etc within each group.

Hi Sandee,

yes, that I really understand.

However there was this "feature"—maybe a hack—with check boxes and InDesign where check boxes that were duplicated and where no individual names were applied, act as if they had individual names when grouped. At least I can show this with InDesign CC to CC 2015.3. That "feature" was broken with CC 2015.4 and CC 2017. I filed a bug report and the bug was acknowledged.

Download my zip file and test the pdf:

CheckBoxes-SameBaseName-CC-v9.3.0.zip

CheckBoxes-SameBaseName-CC-v9.3.0-INTERACTIVE.idml

CheckBoxes-SameBaseName-CC-v9.3.0-INTERACTIVE.pdf

Dropbox - CheckBoxes-SameBaseName-CC-v9.3.0.zip

Then open the idml file and inspect the check boxes names. Do that with InDesign CC or CC 2014. I'm not exactly sure when this "feature" was broken. At least it is broken with CC 2015.4 and CC 2017. The names of the check boxes are all the same and react as they should. Not like radio buttons where you can only select one of a group, but you can select some of them and they stay all checked. Clicking a checked one will uncheck the clicked one. Not all that share the same name in InDesign.

However I was on the wrong track with the OP's problem.

The OP is using fifferent names for different check boxes. That should be ok. I have no problem on Mac OSX with his exported PDF. And I have no problem with his InDesign document—that's from InDesign CC 2015.4.1—to export a working interactive PDF with CC 2017.

Obviously it's not the bug I described above that is hitting here, but a problem with Acrobat.

Maybe only on his machine?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. You created that in CC 2017 and you can check all 4 boxes at the same time? It doesn't work on my end. I opened your INDL file and don't see anything different than my INDD file.

I've uploaded it to my Dropbox. I'd be curious if my pdf is working for other people.

Dropbox - NonWorkingCheckBoxes.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your PDF is working fine for me. And your ID document is set correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say it doesn't work on your end, what exactly is happening? Does anything get checked? Do they switch? Explain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They act like radio buttons. Only one stays checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create and add the check boxes in Acrobat, are you sure you are not creating additional options for the existing Radio Buttons? To verify whether there are separate radio and checkbox fields, view the Field List.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested that by adding two new check boxes to a blank pdf. The only items in the Fields list were Check Box1 and Check Box2. Same result. I can't check them both at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the problematic test PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yours work correctly.

Acrobat Pross_006.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arg. What's happening on my end then?

I'm running Acrobat Pro 2015.023.20056 and InDesign 2017.0. The only difference I see from BarbBinder is I'm on a PC.

I might have to contact Adobe support to straighten this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kore_Group,

hm. Downloaded and tested your sample on OSX 10.10.5 and it is working as expected.

Just like Barb…

Adobe Reader DC 2015.23.20056.

Acrobat Pro DC 2015.23.20056.

CC subscription model.

Not the perpetual one.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and I have both installed. The earlier Mac screen shots were:Acrobat Pross_007.png

On Windows, I have:

VMware Fusionss_002.png

And it works there, too.

VMware Fusionss_001.png

Reboot? Check for updates? Reinstall?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking you should ask this question over on the PDF Forms forum. It would be awesome if you can come back and let us know what you discover. I used/taught Acrobat forms forever and I've sure never seen it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines