• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring manually coded courses to Captivate

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I work for a company who has previously outsourced all of their e-learning development. We have about 30 courses built in html5 ("manually coded") that we want to be able to transfer to an authoring tool to then maintain in-house. Is it possible to do this with Captivate? I need to be able to outline the actual process and estimate the time and effort required to do this as part of a business case, in order to get the funds assigned to purchase the product.

Can anyone offer advice on this?

Cheers,

Sarah

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid you will not be able to simply import your current hand-coded HTML5 courses into Captivate to maintain them that way.  You would need to rebuild them from scratch in Captivate to create CPTX project files and then Captivate would publish from these files.

Your previous HTML5 code will be of little or no use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RodWard for your quick response. I suspected that would be the case, but was hoping I'd missed something in all of my research!

I assume it will be the same for all authoring tools, which is going to make my business case look a lot less appealing given the additional up front effort...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I very much doubt that any of the common authoring tools will be able to import your projects and simply change them over to their own proprietary format.  They will of course be able to accept images, text, videos and audio files in some way.  But you would still need to put all of these components back together to form the same elearning course in their format. 

When it comes to HTML5, each tool will have their own preferred design approach, and there's almost no chance your programming code would be compatible, no matter how expert your previous programmers were,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources