• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

larger cores or more cores cpu?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it better to have a 4ghz 4 core chip or a 22 core 2 ghz xeon for premiere? i need to know what runs premiere the best and the fastest out of those types of extremes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

most codecs/media in premiere will only use between 4-8 cpu cores, its only media like red that can make use of high core counts. so its better to have fewer at higher frequency vs more at lower frequency.  the intel i7 x99 platform has 6-10 core cpu's available that can overclock higher than their xeon counterparts, making them good performers if willing to overclock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would you recommend getting a i7 10 core chip on a x99 board over an i7 4ghz 4 core on a gigabyte soc force motherboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it depends what you are doing, the 10 core might not be worth the price if premiere is using fewer cores with your project. 4-6 cores are ok for HD/1080p projects, while  6-8 core are usually good for 4k projects. i would at least recommend the 6 core on x99 vs the i7 4 core on z170/z270.

you can look at these articles from puget to get some examples of cpu core use for different media and tasks

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-3-CPU-Comparison-849/

after effects if you use that

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-After-Effects-CC-2015-3-CPU-Comparison-847/

also amd's new 8 core ryzen cpu's should be coming out soon. we don't know how well they will perform with premiere and other adobe software, but if you are looking for a more budget friendly system you might want to wait and see how they do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, adobe products don't seem to be using more than 16% of my cpu on average and lots of things are running pretty slow, so i'm very confused what's going on in there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm looking to deal with 4k projects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

instead of the 4 cores it seems like premiere would do well with 10 cores but AE will get a 10% reduction in speed correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE is currently limited in how many cpu cores it can use. its being re-written to use more, but they have been doing that a long time now and i don't know when they plan on finishing it. they took out the multi-frame rendering option, which was a work-around they used for AE to use more than 2-4 cpu cores. using an older version of AE can get that feature back.

here is another AE article that shows it can use more than 4 cores in some situations

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-After-Effects-CC-2015-3-Multi-Core-Performance-843/

if you plan on using 4 video cards in one system, a 40 lane cpu like the i7 10core will be able to run 4 cards at 8x each, with 8 lanes left over. a dual xeon system would be needed to have enough lanes to run each video card at x16. AE doesn't normally use the video card much, it would depend on any plugins you might be using, if they can scale to 4 video cards. premiere will be able to use the video cards more, but would usually only need one, maybe two for 4k. so i don't see those titan x's as a bottleneck with adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the 4 titans in a magma expansion box

it has 4 16x slots, is this what you mean by lanes?

they plug into one of the 16x slots in my motherboard

is that a bottleneck?

is there a link to the old AE and will it work with my system using titan x graphics cards?

would it makes use of the 4 cores of my i7 6700k?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can use the adobe creative cloud app to install older versions, i don't remember which version they took it out but AE cc2014 might still have that multi-frame rendering. it should work fine with titan x's.

a x16 size slot can have 16 pcie lanes, which are the data bus between the gpu and cpu/motherboard to transfer data. if you have 4 video cards all sharing the 16 lanes from a single slot, then each video card could be reduced to 4 lanes each (4 cards x 4 lanes = 16 lanes from the single x16 slot). those video cards are high performance and can start to bottleneck with only 8 lanes. 16 lanes would give them max data transfer, but 8 lanes usually only has a minor performance impact and can work if needed. i don't know the actual performance impact of the magma expansion box, it might not be as bad as each card actually running at 4 lanes. one cpu from intel currently offers 40 pcie lanes, so a dual xeon would have 80 lanes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there a plugin for AE called Background Render Pro, it has a multiprocessing feature in it. i'm not sure, but i think it will allow newer versions of AE to use more than 4 cpu cores. i have never used it, but there appears to be a demo to test. if that works you may not need to use an old version of AE.

here is an old video of it on youtube

BG Renderer 2.0 Tutorial - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am using the titan x graphics card, i have 4 running

is the titan x the bottle neck for ae and premiere on 4k should i get the pascal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really curious to see what's up wth the magma. Each pcie slot in it is 16, I've been told everything in it runs at 16x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In Premiere Pro my opinion after a lot of testing is that 4 GPU's is a terrible overkill.  You only get marginal improvement with a second GPU and a third is even less worthwhile.

Put you money into CPU power, much more important than 4 GPU's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines