• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Huge Jpeg files when viewed at 100% - should they show pixels?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help?!? When I view my massive Jpegs at 100% I can see the pixels - is this normal?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

This is just a very noisy image, probably shot at very high ISO (I use a D800 and this kind of noise usually doesn't happen until ISO 3200 and up).

ACR/Lightroom noise reduction should be able to reduce this significantly - but you need to do it. It doesn't happen automatically like it often does in camera manufacturers' own software.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the name of the program you use so a Moderator may move this message

A program would be Photoshop or Dreamweaver or Muse or Premiere Pro or ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot on Nikon D810, Using iMac and PS Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure your not viewing at 1000% and not at 100%?

Please post a Screen Shot of your screen, the whole screen, when viewing this photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have never done so, here is how to take and post screenshots to the Adobe forums.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/4209263#4209263

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for helping me with this. Here are screenshots. First one whole image, the other 100% zoomed in. Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 12.19.19.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-21 at 12.23.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just a very noisy image, probably shot at very high ISO (I use a D800 and this kind of noise usually doesn't happen until ISO 3200 and up).

ACR/Lightroom noise reduction should be able to reduce this significantly - but you need to do it. It doesn't happen automatically like it often does in camera manufacturers' own software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - can I do this to the JPEG in Lightroom - the noise reduction thing? - I don’t have the original RAW file anymore. I wonder if doing it to the jpeg might make things worse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can I do this to the JPEG in Lightroom

Yes, it'll work. It won't be nearly as effective as with the original raw file - but it'll help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see pixels. You would have to go to 600% to see pixels as shown in my photo. The white lines are the Pixel Grid.

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 4.59.23 AM.png

At 100% you see some fuzziness, but that's the nature of the jpeg and as 21 pointed out, noise (not pixels).

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 5.06.53 AM.png

and at 12.5% like yours.

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 5.13.11 AM.png

My photo is 5312 px by 2988 px at 72 ppi

What do you see if you click on the white arrow at the bottom right and checkmark Document Dimensions?

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 5.20.10 AM.png

Admittedly not shot by a Nikon D800, but by a 16 MP Samsung Galaxy S6 Camera Phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

37.39 cm x 24.95 cm (500 ppi)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the same units, mine is 27 x 15 cm @ 500 ppi.

Maybe you can try Noise Reduction as Dag Suggested, but printed out at that size, does it look bad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had any issues printing them out. It's a client query. I'll be sending them off to print and then send those to the client so they can see they are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

37.39 cm x 24.95 cm (500 ppi)

That's a perfectly standard D810 file at 7360 x 4912 pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for your responses and help. Amazing! I have done exactly as recommended with the Noise Reduction and voila! Much better at 100%. THANK YOU. Now I just gotta do that change x 500 for the other images..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines