• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way InDesign puts the filename in my QR code?

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am a technical writer (in the Netherlands) and on the back of every document that I make I have to put a QR code.

This QR code always contains the same information, namely the filename of the document.

I always use the Plain text option and then I type the filename in the text box, but of course sometimes I forget to update the QR code when the documents revision changes. In that case the filename changes too.

Is there a way InDesign puts the filename in my QR code, so I don't have to type it manually?

Many thanks in advance

William

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

You can ask in the InDesign Scripting forum as Michael noted above. There might be someone there who has done a script:

InDesign Scripting

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but you might ask that same question in the InDesign scripting forum.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great to automatically convert some of the data from the file info (like the filename, revision...) into the QR code

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's not a QR code object in the scripting API (they are postscript pictures), so there's no obvious way to edit an existing code the way you can from the GUI by selecting the code and Object>Edit QR Code.

You can script the creation of a new QR code and in that case you could get the doc's name and other info and insert it as text, but you would still need to remember to make the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of. The thing is, I'm not really familiar with scripting.

Maybe I can find some time to look into it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Greetings William

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can ask in the InDesign Scripting forum as Michael noted above. There might be someone there who has done a script:

InDesign Scripting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines