• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I saved every layer into one background and I don't know how to undo it. Please help ME!!

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making a magazine in school for Media and I accidently saved all the layers into one background and I do now know how to undo it. Please help me!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you using? You've posted in The Lounge​ which is not specific to any software and isn't for support anyway. Let us know what you are using and a moderator can move your post to the right forum.

If you're talking about Photoshop, have you closed the document since you flattened it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Photoshop CS6 and I don't know how to flattern it. Can you please tell me how

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Photoshop Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ademk66158693  wrote

I don't know how to flatten it.

This is flattening it:

I accidentally saved all the layers into one background

If it is still open, use CTRL-Z.

If not, then use a backup saved prior to the flattening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Photoshop CS6 and I don't know how to flattern it. Can you please tell me how

Layer > Flatten image will flatten all files to a single layer. You are asking to "unflatten" and there isn't a command for that.

Start by looking at Window > History. Can you step backwards to the point in time prior to flattening all layers into one layer? If you click the Open snapshot at the top, does that do it? Or did you save and close the file, which removes history?

The only way to "unflatten" a single layer file to to painstakingly select each object and jump it to a new layer with Ctrl/Cmd J.

Flattening our only copy of a file is a mistake most of us have only made once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder  wrote

Flattening our only copy of a file is a mistake most of us have only made once.

Yup.

Hard-learned lesson that day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've all done it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder  wrote

We've all done it.

And some of us more than once.

That's why I use Shift-Alt Ctrl-E to create a flattened layer and put it on top and turn the other layers off when I need to flatten an image.  I then still have the other layers available if I need them.

And if I need to save as a JPEG instead of a PSD, I always keep a PSD copy in case I need access to those layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, do you have access to Adobe InDesign? That would be a much more suitable application for creating a magazine. You still optimise your images in Photoshop but then place them in InDesign, where you add the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines